From: gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore)
Newsgroups: sci.crypt
Subject: Merkle's "A Software Encryption Function" now published and available
Date: 13 Jul 89 10:10:11 GMT

Ralph Merkle called me today to let me know that Xerox was not going to
let him submit his paper on a nice new set of encryption and hash functions
to a journal for publication.  The story is that a division of Xerox
sells a lot of stuff to NSA and they threatened to pull their business
if Xerox publishes it.  There is no law that says NSA can stop Xerox
from publishing it -- it's just a "business decision" on Xerox's part.

Happily, however, I do not sell anything to the NSA.  And I have
a copy of the paper, which was distributed for several months
by Xerox, without any conditions, before NSA even heard of it.
The work was not government-sponsored or classified; there is no
law that lets the government suppress it.

As a courtesy to Xerox Corporation I could avoid publishing this
paper.  However, I prefer to extend the courtesy to the person who did
the work, Ralph Merkle, who would like to see it released and used.  I
do thank Xerox for supporting his excellent work and hope that they
will continue to do so.  Mr. Merkle did not ask or suggest that I
publish the paper, and should bear none of the blame (if any).

I have published and distributed a number of copies of this paper, and
I hereby offer to sell a copy of this paper to anyone who sends me $10
(cash preferred, checks accepted) and a return address.  Send your requests to:

	Merkle Paper Publishing
	PO Box 170608
	San Francisco, CA, USA  94117-0608

Since the paper is "published and is generally available to the public
through subscriptions which are available without restriction to any
individual who desires to obtain or purchase the published
information", it is exempt from State Department export control under
22 CFR 120.18 and 22 CFR 125.1 (a), and is exportable to all
destintions under Commerce Department General License GTDA under 15 CFR
379.3(a).  It can therefore be sent to foreign as well as US domestic
individuals.

I believe that the availability of fast, secure cryptography to the
worldwide public will enable us to build much more secure computer
systems and networks, increasing individual privacy as well as making
viruses and worms much harder to write.  For example, the Snefru
one-way hash function described in the paper would be a good choice for
validating copies of programs downloaded from BBS systems or the net,
to detect virus contamination.  If UUCP and TCP/IP links could be
encrypted with Mr. Merkle's Khafre or Khufu ciphers, simple monitoring
of phone wires or Ethernets would not yield login passwords, private
mail, and other serious security violations.  The technology exists;
all that stands in our way is a bureacracy that has no *legal* power
to restrict us, if we follow the published rules.

	John Gilmore
--
John Gilmore      {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu      g...@toad.com
      "And if there's danger don't you try to overlook it,