Tech Insider					     Technology and Trends


			      USENET Archives

Path: utzoo!utgpu!jarvis.csri.toronto.edu!cs.utexas.edu!texbell!
rutgers!elbereth.rutgers.edu!shahidi
From: sha...@elbereth.rutgers.edu (ramin shahidi)
Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Subject: info needed for homegrown....
Keywords: marijuana, homegrown, help
Message-ID: <Jan.18.13.16.19.1990.6180@elbereth.rutgers.edu>
Date: 18 Jan 90 18:16:21 GMT
Organization: Rutgers Univ., New Brunswick, N.J.
Lines: 15


Hello, I need some advice and information on growing my own marijuana.

I am a first-time grower.

Please email all responses to 

sha...@cancer.rutgers.edu

thank You


-- Remember, no matter where you go, there you are....---
				
				Buckaroo Banzai in the 25th century

Path: utzoo!utgpu!jarvis.csri.toronto.edu!mailrus!cs.utexas.edu!usc!
orion.oac.uci.edu!uci-ics!honig
From: ho...@ics.uci.edu (David A. Honig)
Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Subject: Re: info needed for homegrown....
Summary: Get a clue...
Keywords: marijuana, homegrown, help
Message-ID: <25B64464.1442@paris.ics.uci.edu>
Date: 18 Jan 90 22:34:11 GMT
References: <Jan.18.13.16.19.1990.6180@elbereth.rutgers.edu>
Reply-To: ho...@ics.uci.edu (David A. Honig)
Organization: UC Irvine Department of ICS
Lines: 18

In article <Jan.18.13.16...@elbereth.rutgers.edu> 
sha...@elbereth.rutgers.edu (ramin shahidi) writes:
>
>Hello, I need some advice and information on growing my own marijuana.

First, you'll need a brain.  That's eeleegal, see.

>I am a first-time grower.

No doubt.

>sha...@cancer.rutgers.edu



--
David A. Honig		
"Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits
is, of course, in a state of sin."  ---John Von Neumann 

Path: utzoo!utgpu!jarvis.csri.toronto.edu!clyde.concordia.ca!
mcgill-vision!bloom-beacon!snorkelwacker!apple!sun-barr!newstop!
sun!athena1!williamt
From: will...@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow)
Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Subject: Re: info needed for homegrown....
Keywords: marijuana, homegrown, help
Message-ID: <130459@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: 18 Jan 90 23:58:49 GMT
Sender: ne...@sun.Eng.Sun.COM
Reply-To: williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow)
Lines: 20

In article <25B644...@paris.ics.uci.edu> 
ho...@ics.uci.edu (David A. Honig) writes:
>In article <Jan.18.13.16...@elbereth.rutgers.edu> 
>sha...@elbereth.rutgers.edu (ramin shahidi) writes:
>>
>>Hello, I need some advice and information on growing my own marijuana.
>
>First, you'll need a brain.  That's eeleegal, see.
--------------
	You are assuming that he is going to grow it while at rutgers.  Since
we are all law abiding citizens here, you could assume he is planning
to do the growing in Alaska, where it is still legal to grow your own.

	My knowledge on the matter though is pretty slim.  I would just
plant the seeds like normal plants and give them lotsa TLC so they will
give you lotsa THC later :-).

-wat-

   --- An it harm none, do what you will.
***    Remember to VOTE YES to talk.religion.pagan (moderated).   ***
***             Send your vote To: olo...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu      ***

Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Path: utzoo!utgpu!jarvis.csri.toronto.edu!mailrus!hellgate.utah.edu!
cs.utah.edu!thomson
From: tho...@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson)
Subject: Re: info needed for homegrown....
Date: 18 Jan 90 17:53:35 MST
Message-ID: <1990Jan18.175335.6478@hellgate.utah.edu>
Keywords: marijuana, homegrown, help
Organization: Oasis Technologies
References: <130459@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>

In article <Jan.18.13.16...@elbereth.rutgers.edu>
    sha...@elbereth.rutgers.edu (ramin shahidi) writes:
>Hello, I need some advice and information on growing my own marijuana.

In article <25B644...@paris.ics.uci.edu> ho...@ics.uci.edu
    (David A. Honig) writes:
=First, you'll need a brain.  That's eeleegal, see.

In article <130...@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP
    (William A. Turnbow) writes:
:	You are assuming that he is going to grow it while at rutgers.  Since
:we are all law abiding citizens here, you could assume he is planning
:to do the growing in Alaska, where it is still legal to grow your own.

Judging from the original poster's name, I'd guess that he is of East
Indian linneage, where it is also legal (in some portions) to grow
marijuana.  It is available in government shops.

I believe the poster can find this kind of information in magazines
available at most reasonable newsstands.  Check out _High Times_ magazine,
or _Sinsemilla Tips_ magazine.  The latter is, I believe, more oriented
towards growers, while HT is oriented towards growers, consumers and other
interested parties.

Regarding illegality, those new to the net should realize that a complete
feed of the USENET traffic is fed to the NSA (FBI too?) every week on
magnetic tape.  They buy the tape from uunet, a public access site.  Since
you have most certainly distinguished yourself enough to be identifiable to
the relevant authorities, you should be careful.  Especially after the rash
of raids by FBI types on suppliers of growing equipment who advertized in
High Times.

For all you lurkers out there who are thinking of similar questions which
could incriminate yourself, consider posting anonymously through a third
party (I will be glad to post for you as is my good friend John Berryhill
ber...@udel.edu)

						-- Rich
Rich Thomson	tho...@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!thomson
	  More Colombians are killed by American cigarettes
		 than Americans by Colombian cocaine

Path: utzoo!utgpu!jarvis.csri.toronto.edu!mailrus!umich!yale!think!
zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!brutus.cs.uiuc.edu!apple!bbn!news
From: ne...@bbn.COM (News system owner ID)
Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Subject: Re: info needed for homegrown....
Message-ID: <51127@bbn.COM>
Date: 19 Jan 90 02:05:34 GMT
Organization: Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc., Cambridge, MA
Lines: 34

Reply-To: cos...@BBN.COM
Followup-To:
Organization: BBN Systems and Technologies, Inc, Cambridge, MA
Keywords:
From: cos...@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell)
Path: bbn.com!cosell

In article <1990Jan18....@hellgate.utah.edu> tho...@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) writes:
} Regarding illegality, those new to the net should realize that a complete
} feed of the USENET traffic is fed to the NSA (FBI too?) every week on
} magnetic tape.  They buy the tape from uunet, a public access site.  Since
} you have most certainly distinguished yourself enough to be identifiable to
} the relevant authorities, you should be careful.  Especially after the rash
} of raids by FBI types on suppliers of growing equipment who advertized in
} High Times.

Rick adams is the sysadmin at uunet... /bernie\

} From: ri...@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams)
} Newsgroups: sci.crypt,misc.legal
} Subject: Re: Interception of E-Mail by spies
} Summary: facts...
} Message-ID: <76...@uunet.UU.NET>
} Date: 14 Jan 90 22:43:10 GMT
} Followup-To: /dev/null
} Organization: UUNET Communications Services, Falls Church, VA
} Lines: 5
} Xref: bbn sci.crypt:2754 misc.legal:16738
} 
} In article <14...@umigw.MIAMI.EDU>, a...@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
} > As for USENET, it's a *well known fact* (WKF) that uunet supplies tapes
} > of USENET postings to the FBI.... 
} 
} Yet another well know fact that is wrong...

Path: utzoo!utgpu!jarvis.csri.toronto.edu!mailrus!uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!
hellgate.utah.edu!cs.utah.edu!thomson
From: tho...@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson)
Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Subject: Re: info needed for homegrown....
Summary: NSA/FBI may receive a USENET feed, just not through uunet
Keywords: NSA, FBI, monitoring, paranoia
Message-ID: <1990Jan20.014653.26818@hellgate.utah.edu>
Date: 20 Jan 90 08:46:53 GMT
References: <51127@bbn.COM>
Distribution: usa
Organization: Oasis Technologies
Lines: 41

Just to clarify things a little further regarding the dangers of making
possibly incriminating postings (I don't think it's obvious):

In article <1990Jan18....@hellgate.utah.edu> tho...@cs.utah.edu
	I wrote:
>} Regarding illegality, those new to the net should realize that a complete
>} feed of the USENET traffic is fed to the NSA (FBI too?) every week on
>} magnetic tape.  They buy the tape from uunet, a public access site.  Since
>} you have most certainly distinguished yourself enough to be identifiable to
>} the relevant authorities, you should be careful.  Especially after the rash
>} of raids by FBI types on suppliers of growing equipment who advertized in
>} High Times.

In article <51...@bbn.COM> cos...@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) wrote:
>Rick adams is the sysadmin at uunet... /bernie\

>} From: ri...@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams)
>} Date: 14 Jan 90 22:43:10 GMT
>} Organization: UUNET Communications Services, Falls Church, VA
>} 
>} In article <14...@umigw.MIAMI.EDU>, a...@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
	(a.e.mossberg) writes:
>} > As for USENET, it's a *well known fact* (WKF) that uunet supplies tapes
>} > of USENET postings to the FBI.... 
>} 
>} Yet another well know fact that is wrong...

I talked with Berni after seeing this message that he posted and we arrived
at the mutual conclusion that although uunet may not be sending a tape to
the government types, that does not preclude the government from receiving
a full tape of the USENET feed as is so often reported by net.people.

Caution would dictate that if you feel the slightest possibility that you
could be incriminated by something you want to say in alt.drugs that you
use one of the anonymous posters available (myself and John Berryhill
ber...@udel.edu, among others).

						-- Rich
Rich Thomson	tho...@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!thomson
	  More Colombians are killed by American cigarettes
		 than Americans by Colombian cocaine

Path: gmdzi!unido!mcsun!sunic!uupsi!rpi!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!usc!
apple!oliveb!amdahl!pacbell!hoptoad!gnu
From: gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore)
Newsgroups: alt.drugs,sci.crypt
Subject: Uunet/FBI ex-feed; who's listening; postings as hearsay
Message-ID: <9772@hoptoad.uucp>
Date: 21 Jan 90 14:34:39 GMT
References: <51127@bbn.COM>
Organization: Grasshopper Group in San Francisco
Lines: 58
Xref: gmdzi alt.drugs:1789 sci.crypt:2092
Posted: Sun Jan 21 15:34:39 1990

> } Regarding illegality, those new to the net should realize that a complete
> } feed of the USENET traffic is fed to the NSA (FBI too?) every week on
> } magnetic tape.  They buy the tape from uunet, a public access site.
> 
> } From: ri...@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams)
> } > As for USENET, it's a *well known fact* (WKF) that uunet supplies tapes
> } > of USENET postings to the FBI.... 
> } 
> } Yet another well know fact that is wrong...

I talked with Rick about this a while ago.  At our first conversation,
he said he was supplying a tape to the FBI weekly, as a paying customer.
He runs a communications service for publicly available info, why not?

About a year later I asked again and the FBI had stopped the feed.
Turns out it was part of the FBI that analyzes trends in the media
or something; the impression I got was that it was read by psychologist
types and their funding ran out or they got bored.  At any rate, he
said that he was no longer sending them tapes at that point.

Rick could've been more precise in his answer above, but he's had a
lot of hassles lately keeping uunet running and is probably short on
time and temper.

It doesn't really matter -- with more than ten thousand machines on the
net, many in government agencies, there is no question that individual
cops are listening; that some of these cops might feel like reporting
particularly flagrant or obnoxious reports to other cops more likely to
do something with the info; that there are some private citizens on the
net sick enough to collect such stuff and turn it over to cops; and
that there are people whose job it is to scan the net looking for
things of interest to some part of the government.

At the moment, as far as I know, usenet postings are not evidence of a
crime.  You could say "I took ten hits of acid last night" and they
can't convict you from it -- it's "hearsay" (they heard you say it).
(Postings of the form "Joe took ten hits of acid last night" are also
hearsay.  In both cases the speaker was not under oath, and could have
been lying or joking -- or it could've been a forged posting.)
However, if after reading your posting, they put a photographer at your
window and watch you light up a joint in plain sight from outside, you
have a problem.  They can *act on* hearsay, they just can't use it as
evidence.

There is an initiative that's collecting signatures here in Calif,
though, that amends the Calif. Constitution to say:

	"In order to protect victims and witnesses in criminal cases,
	hearsay evidence shall be admissible in preliminary hearings..."

It is being circulated by "Californians to Clean Out Drug Dealers" of
1700 L St., Sacramento; +1 916 441 1995.  There are plenty of other
things wrong with it, in five closely-spaced pages of four-point type
(the proverbial "fine print"), but just this one is enough to recommend
a "no" vote.
-- 
John Gilmore      {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu      g...@toad.com
Just say *yes* to drugs.  Say "no" to undeclared wars on sovereign countries.

Path: gmdzi!unido!mcsun!sunic!uupsi!rpi!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!usc!
apple!bbn!bbn.com!cosell
From: cos...@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell)
Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Subject: Re: Uunet/FBI ex-feed; who's listening; postings as hearsay
Message-ID: <51195@bbn.COM>
Date: 21 Jan 90 23:45:10 GMT
References: <51127@bbn.COM> <9772@hoptoad.uucp>
Sender: ne...@bbn.COM
Lines: 26
Posted: Mon Jan 22 00:45:10 1990

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:

}At the moment, as far as I know, usenet postings are not evidence of a
}crime.  You could say "I took ten hits of acid last night" and they
}can't convict you from it -- it's "hearsay" (they heard you say it).
}(Postings of the form "Joe took ten hits of acid last night" are also
}hearsay.  In both cases the speaker was not under oath, and could have
}been lying or joking -- or it could've been a forged posting.)
}However, if after reading your posting, they put a photographer at your
}window and watch you light up a joint in plain sight from outside, you
}have a problem.  They can *act on* hearsay, they just can't use it as
}evidence.

But 'evidence' is not the problem.  Having your door kicked down and
your abode destroyed by a "good faith search", or even worse having all
of your possessions confiscated when real or planted 'evidence' is
uncovered as your house is ruined, is the REAL fear.  If the only fear
were police officers acting within reasonable bill-of-rights limits,
that'd be one thing... but realizing that we now have a full-blown
police state, where they can do essentially anything they want [perhaps
_except_ throwing you bodily in jail.... but being bankrupt, with no
possessions or savings, and no job makes "still free" a bit of a thin
consolation] makes a bit of extra care, caution, and paranoia
appropriate.

   /Bernie\

			        About USENET

USENET (Users’ Network) was a bulletin board shared among many computer
systems around the world. USENET was a logical network, sitting on top
of several physical networks, among them UUCP, BLICN, BERKNET, X.25, and
the ARPANET. Sites on USENET included many universities, private companies
and research organizations. See USENET Archives.

		       SCO Files Lawsuit Against IBM

March 7, 2003 - The SCO Group filed legal action against IBM in the State 
Court of Utah for trade secrets misappropriation, tortious interference, 
unfair competition and breach of contract. The complaint alleges that IBM 
made concentrated efforts to improperly destroy the economic value of 
UNIX, particularly UNIX on Intel, to benefit IBM's Linux services 
business. See SCO vs IBM.

The materials and information included in this website may only be used
for purposes such as criticism, review, private study, scholarship, or
research.

Electronic mail:			       WorldWideWeb:
   tech-insider@outlook.com			  http://tech-insider.org/