Date: Fri, 26 Jan 90 14:24:30 PST
From: "Peter G. Neumann" <neum...@csl.sri.com>
Subject: Cause of AT&T network failure

From Telephony, Jan 22, 1990 p11:

    "The fault was in the code" of the new software that AT&T loaded
    into front-end processors of all 114 of its 4ESS switching systems
    in mid-December, said Larry Seese, AT&T's director of technology
    development. In detail:

    The problem began the afternoon of Jan 15 when a piece of trunk
    interface equipment developed internal problems for reasons that
    have yet to be determined. The equipment told the 4ESS switch
    in New York that it was having problems and couldn't correct the
    fault. "The recovery code is written so that the processor will run
    corrective initialization on the equipment. That takes four to six
    seconds. At the same time, new calls are stopped from coming into the
    switch." Seese said.

    The New York switch sent a message to all the other 4ESS switches
    it is linked with that it was not accepting additional traffic.
    Seese referred to that message as a "congestion signal."  After
    the switch successfully completed the reintialization, the New York
    switch went back in service and began processing calls.
    That is when the fault in the new software reared its ugly head.
    Under the previous system, switch A would send out a message that
    it was working again, and swithc B would double-check that switch
    A was back in service. With the new software, switch A begins
    processing calls and sends out call routing signals. The reappearance
    of traffic from switch A is supposed to tell switch B that A is
    working again.

    "We made an improvement in the way we react to those messages so
    we can react more quickly. The first common channel signaling system
    7 initial address message (caused by a call attempt) that switch B
    receives from swithc A alerts B that A is back in service. Switch B
    then resets its internal logic to indicate that A is back in service,"
    said Seese.

    The problem occured when switch B got a second call-attempt message
    from A while it was in the process of resetting its internal logic.
    "[The message] confused the software. it tried to execute an instruction
    that didn't make any sense. The software told switch B `My CCS7 processor
    is insane'", so switch B shut itself down to avoid spreading the problem,
    Seese explained.

    Unfortunately, switch B then sent a message to other switches that it
    was out of service and wasn't accepting additional traffic. Once switch
    B reset itself and began operating again, it sent out call processing
    messages via the CCS7 link. That caused identical failures around the
    nation as other 4ESS switches got second messages from switch B while
    they were in the process of resetting their internal logic to indicate
    switch B was working again.

    "It was a chain reaction. Any switch that was connected to B was put
    into the same condition."

    "The event just repeated itself in every [4ESS] switch over and over
    again. If the switches hadn't gotten a second message while resetting,
    there would have been no problem. If the messages had been received
    farther apart, it would not have triggered the problem."

    AT&T solved the problem by reducing the messaging load of the CCS7
    network. That allowed the switches to rest themselves and the network
    to stabilize.