From: way...@CS.Cornell.EDU (Peter Wayner)
Newsgroups: sci.crypt
Subject: Encryption/ PK Partners and Cash--- COMPROMISE
Date: 18 May 91 14:56:22 GMT
Sender: ne...@cs.cornell.edu (USENET news user)

For now I'm assuming that the RSA patent holds AND that it would be a
no-no to post a public-domain program to encrypt using RSA or Rabin.
This may or may not be true.

The real problem is that PK partners haven't managed to make RSA into
an easy-to-use, cheap standard for mail and encryption. That hurts them,
because they don't get the piles of cash, and it hurts us because we
don't get the advantages of RSA. I've heard talk and talk and talk about
schemes they plan to offer to the world, but I've never been offered
anything. All this waiting is just a pain and now the Congress is going
to make things illegal.

I think Mark Riordan is giving them a good chance to change things. PK
Partners should offer a license for a small fee, say $2 to $10.  I
would be quite willing to purchase something that would allow me to
use RSA encryption without guilt or legal hassles. It should be a
general license that would allow me to use whatever software package I
chose.

This money would be pure profit for PK partners. They would not have
to manufacture software or maintain it. Sure there would be people
that would use it without paying, but Microsoft lives quite well with
the existance of piracy. I don't really mind paying at all because RSA
is the only public-key system that has survived lots of analysis and
attention. It was a great piece of mathematics and certainly much more
of a breakthrough than say, MS-DOS. There is no reason for all of us
to quibble about the legality of patents and all this
esoteric-philosophical stuff that puts money in the lawyers' pockets.

There is not much time for a compromise. To RSA, I say, "Offer
moderately priced, cheap licenses to individuals. Don't worry about
piracy. Don't get greedy.  Many thin slices of bread is better than
one fat loaf." To the rest of us, "Don't begrudge them an honest
profit. Don't get caught up in stupid patent philosophisizing."

If a general encryption standard is implemented and in use it will be
much harder for Congress to make it illegal.

--
Peter Wayner   Department of Computer Science Cornell Univ. Ithaca, NY 14850
EMail:...@cs.cornell.edu    Office: 607-255-9202 or 255-1008