List:       cryptography
Subject:    US Urges Ban of Internet Crypto
From:       John Young <jya () pipeline ! com>
Date:       1999-07-28 1:17:08

The Austrian journal Telepolis today published a letter from
Janet Reno to the German Justice Minister urging a ban
of crypto products on the Internet. We've made a translation
of the report which includes Reno's letter:

   http://jya.com/reno-ban.htm

Here's an excerpt of Reno's letter:

"Much work remains to be done. In particular, I believe we must
soon address the risks posed by electronic distribution of
encryption software. Although the Wassenaar Nations have
now reached agreement to control the distribution of mass
market encryption software of certain cryptographic strength,
some Wassenaar Nations continue not to control encryption
software that is distributed over the Internet, either because
the software is in the "public domain" or because those
Nations do not control distribution of intangible items. While
I recognize that this issue is controversial, unless we address
this situation, use of the Internet to distribute encryption products
will render Wassenaar's controls immaterial."

>use of the Internet to distribute encryption products
>will render Wassenaar's controls immaterial."

The bitch is getting a clue. :)

William H. Geiger III  http://www.openpgp.net

OS/2 PGP 5.0 at: http://www.openpgp.net/pgp.html
Talk About PGP on IRC EFNet Channel: #pgp Nick: whgiii

Hi Jeff!! :)

 > Nations do not control distribution of intangible items. While
 > I recognize that this issue is controversial, unless we address
 > this situation, use of the Internet to distribute encryption products
 > will render Wassenaar's controls immaterial."

I just love this sentence. So, let's create unenforcible legislation,
and then try to pave over all the world in the attempt to make reality
comply. Name's Janet Reno, huh?

What's worse, the gullible Germans will probably heel.

>  > Nations do not control distribution of intangible items. While
>  > I recognize that this issue is controversial, unless we address
>  > this situation, use of the Internet to distribute encryption products
>  > will render Wassenaar's controls immaterial."
>
> I just love this sentence. So, let's create unenforcible legislation,
> and then try to pave over all the world in the attempt to make reality
> comply. Name's Janet Reno, huh?
>
> What's worse, the gullible Germans will probably heel.

They will not. Especially the ministry of economy is well aware that
the US spies on the german industry, that strong crypto is the only
protection against it, and that an open-source development model for
security infrastructure is the only one providing a high enough
confidence in the security of a product (and providing a
Wassenaar-loophole though the public domain exemption on it's way,
which they also are very aware of).

Andreas

--
"We show that all proposed quantum bit commitment schemes are insecure because
the sender, Alice, can almost always cheat successfully by using an