From: "Anthony PDC" <ant...@lound.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Video Capture Cards - the Winnov Videum Vo/AV
Date: 1998/05/02
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.videoconf

I should like to congratulate Winnov on their Videum VO capture card. I
don't normally sing the praises of manufacturers in public but I am *so*
impressed by this card  I felt I should post, and possibly save others a
long search for a video caprture card that will truly stun them.

For a long time I have jealously yearned after the kind of video quality
that Macintosh computers regularly produce on videoconferencing networks. In
CU-SEEME for example, I could until recently *easily* spot those using Macs
because their video was consistently good - even where they were using
Connectix stuff/other inferior parallel port-based cameras.

I had hitherto concluded that the Mac's onboard video digitizer was rather
special and that that kind of quality was not available on the PC -
certainly not using my Hauppauge Win/TV Celebrity card. This card, despite
the fact that I had installed the S-Video option at extra cost and the fact
that I use a S-VHS Camcorder, produced an image of indifferent quality, and
its captured stills was rather poor.

The moment I turned on my camcorder after installing the Winnov Videum VO
revealed to me what I had been missing! Superb in every respect - sharp,
vibrant, well-saturated colours, an extremely crisp image, and the sort of
overall quality of which I had thought only Macs were capable. The quality
of still captures is high - substantially higher than the Hauppauge - and
the accompanying software a real credit to its authors. And all this at an
unbelievably cheap price.

May I say to Winnov (with whom I have not the slightest connection) - my
warmest congratulations on a great product! Very well-done indeed. I am
extremely pleased :o))))))))))))))))). To others on the look-out for a high
quality capture card, get the Videum VO (or AV if you have no  sound card).

Incidentally, should anyone like to see the quality of this card I should be
happy to send them a still capture - email me.

Anthony P D Cummins
Norfolk, England, United Kingdom
IBMPC/AMDK6/233

>I should like to congratulate Winnov on their Videum VO capture card.
>[...]
>The moment I turned on my camcorder after installing the Winnov Videum VO
>revealed to me what I had been missing! Superb in every respect - sharp,
>vibrant, well-saturated colours, an extremely crisp image, and the sort of
>overall quality of which I had thought only Macs were capable. The quality
>of still captures is high - substantially higher than the Hauppauge - and
>the accompanying software a real credit to its authors. And all this at an
>unbelievably cheap price.
>May I say to Winnov (with whom I have not the slightest connection) - my
>warmest congratulations on a great product! Very well-done indeed. I am
>extremely pleased. [...]
>--
>Anthony P D Cummins
>Norfolk, England, United Kingdom

Thank you for the kind words. I wrote the bundled Winnov applications of
which you speak, and also worked on many driver features including slow
scan still capture mode. I just want to let you know your message reached
its intended audience and is very much appreciated.

Pay no attention to anonymous jerks out there. (Mr. Cummins does not work
for Winnov.)

Bill.