From:  Angus Peart
Subject:  [Paparazzi-devel] Questions on Booz hardware
Date:  Thu, 15 Oct 2009 15:47:56 +1100

Hi All,

I have a few questions about the booz hardware and with the lack of
documentation, I thought would ask here.

1. Is the HW going through any revisions in the near future, it would be a
shame to get some PCB's made then have a revision come out the next month.
2. Has anyone considered replacing the 2 and 1 axis magnetometers with a
small HMC5843? The problem I see is it is I2C not SPI, which isn't on the
IMU board, but it is on the GPS board.
3. On the IMU YZ board, what is the small magnetometer part number?
4. The AMI601 on the GPS board, when is/isn't that needed. I cannot find
much info about the AMI601 or even where to purchase it. I see it is a 3
axis magnetometer so this may answer question 2 as well. It is also a 3 axis
accelerometer (if my information is right), is the accelerometer being used
from the AMI601? If it is only being used for a magnetometer then I think
replacing it with the HMC5843 is a good idea as it is I2C like the AMI601,
which is already brought to the GPS board.
5. If the AMI601 (or other 3-axis magnetometer) is on the GPS board, does
that mean the magnetometer on the main IMU and YZ board do not need to be
placed/used?
6. The "power board" looks like a simple power switching board with an
external switch to activate it. Is this correct? When should it be used and
why?
7. The absolute pressure sensor "MPX6115" doesn't seem to exist. I take it
that it should be the MPXH6115, absolute sensor, the ported version?
8. I am proficient with eagle and can work with multiple layers, is there
any TODO items that I could do with the schematics/boards before I get them
made?
9. Is there anything else I should know before I get the PCB's made up?

Hopefully once I have some hardware in front of me I can update the wiki to
make this hardware more accessible to others.

Kind Regards,
Angus

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 6:47 AM, Angus Peart  wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a few questions about the booz hardware and with the lack of
> documentation, I thought would ask here.
> 1. Is the HW going through any revisions in the near future, it would be a
> shame to get some PCB's made then have a revision come out the next month.

The IMU stays for the moment
There is a new main board on the way ( paparazzi4/trunk/hw/lisa) using
a STM32 instead of the LPC2148

> 2. Has anyone considered replacing the 2 and 1 axis magnetometers with a
> small HMC5843? The problem I see is it is I2C not SPI, which isn't on the
> IMU board, but it is on the GPS board.
> 3. On the IMU YZ board, what is the small magnetometer part number?

the PNI MS2100 ( the mag that is on the IMU) is a 3 axis chip with two
integrated sensing elements
the part on the YZ board is the Z sensor needed to get full 3 axis and
is called sensXY
(http://www.pnicorp.com/products/all/sen-xy)
> 4. The AMI601 on the GPS board, when is/isn't that needed. I cannot find
> much info about the AMI601 or even where to purchase it. I see it is a 3
> axis magnetometer so this may answer question 2 as well. It is also a 3 axis
> accelerometer (if my information is right), is the accelerometer being used
> from the AMI601? If it is only being used for a magnetometer then I think
> replacing it with the HMC5843 is a good idea as it is I2C like the AMI601,
> which is already brought to the GPS board.

THe AMI601 on the GPS board is obsolete ( not manufactured anymore,
replaced by AMI602, which I don't have available)
The latest version of the GPS board has this part removed and the up
to date method is to use the PNI MS2100 on the IMU

> 5. If the AMI601 (or other 3-axis magnetometer) is on the GPS board, does
> that mean the magnetometer on the main IMU and YZ board do not need to be
> placed/used?

you can use either one, but the AMI601 is obsolete

> 6. The "power board" looks like a simple power switching board with an
> external switch to activate it. Is this correct? When should it be used and
> why?

I like to leave my battery connected and just press a switch when I
want to fly.
I find it a pain to have to turn the quad upside down

> 7. The absolute pressure sensor "MPX6115" doesn't seem to exist. I take it
> that it should be the MPXH6115, absolute sensor, the ported version?

correct

> 8. I am proficient with eagle and can work with multiple layers, is there
> any TODO items that I could do with the schematics/boards before I get them
> made?

the current version is believed to be bug free. If you want to help me
work on lisa, you're welcome

> 9. Is there anything else I should know before I get the PCB's made up?

i've heard ppzuav has some boards in production

Regards

Poine

Yes, PCB for the Booz and IMU are available from ppzuav.com
- IMU: http://ppzuav.com/osc/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=100
- (I will add the booz and gps PCB today).

Orders for PCB will ship next day as they are quick to put in a padded
envelope and ship. Assemblies are on the way. Flying these current designs
will help direct the new designs.

Regards,
David Conger

[...]

Progress is underway now to make a few booz units. I have one small question
though, what are the values of [R38, R39, R40] on the main board? I can't
find any mention of what the Vout should be so I can not calculate these
values myself, someone has to know what the values should be though?

Regards,
Angus

2009/10/15 antoine drouin

> [...]

> external switch to activate it. Is this correct? When should it be used and
> why?

I like to leave my battery connected and just press a switch when I
want to fly.
I find it a pain to have to turn the quad upside down

> 7. The absolute pressure sensor "MPX6115" doesn't seem to exist. I take it
> that it should be the MPXH6115, absolute sensor, the ported version?

correct

> 8. I am proficient with eagle and can work with multiple layers, is there
> any TODO items that I could do with the schematics/boards before I get them
> made?

the current version is believed to be bug free. If you want to help me
work on lisa, you're welcome

> 9. Is there anything else I should know before I get the PCB's made up?

i've heard ppzuav has some boards in production

that part is not populated, I use the variable offset amplifier.
So, in short, don't populate C33 C34 R38 R39 R40 U$9 R47 LT_I2C1