[Makers] UAV - Airframes
Alastair D'Silva alastair at newmillennium.net.au
Fri Nov 26 11:06:29 EST 2010

Looking through the rules for the UAV competition, it looks like teams
cannot share airframes (probably a good thing given how many of them ended
up in the 2010 challenge!).

This means that unless Andrew can squeeze his sponsors for 2 of the drones,
we'll have to find our own solution.

I think we might get extra points for a predator clone:
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/366528046-RC-Electric-predator-B-UAV-wh
olesalers.html

Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to carry much of a payload.

Given the price of UAVs that can carry a reasonable payload (remembering
that we are up for 500g + electronics), such as:
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/333916452-T8-electric-powerd-unmaned-ai
rial-vehicle-UAV-wholesalers.html

Since I'm in Sydney at the moment, I might take a wander past the big model
shop here and see what kind of RC planes are around that might suit us.

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0423 762 819
Networking Consultant      fax: 0413 181 661
skype: alastair_dsilva     msn: alastair at d-silva.org
blog: http://alastair.d-silva.org

[Makers] Aiframes
Jack Pittar jpittar at bigpond.net.au
Sun Nov 28 17:35:43 EST 2010

Hold on Alastair,
In your enthusiasm you are putting the cart before the horse.

I already have an airframe on which we can do most of our testing and
development of the individual components.
Only later, when we put all the parts together, we will need a bigger
airframe. We should worry about that only if we get to that stage, when we
get to that stage. Then we will know how big the load is, and all the other
parameters we need to know, in order to design a proper airframe for the
task.

The floats on the "Dragon Lady" (in the picture I sent to your email
address) weigh 800gm. Even with that load, the model has power to spare. I
have flown it alot with floats, and alot with wheels.

I have watched the videos of a number of challenges so far, and by far the
biggetst hurdle most teams faced was getting enough testing and development
time in the air before crashing the aircraft. I can put this aicraft in the
air, do a test run, and land it for another tweak or adjustment, time after
time at the drop of a hat.

The different challenges require very different airfarmes. I don't think it
is practical to have a common airframe.

Jack.

[Makers] UAV Meetup this Sunday?
Angus Gratton gus at projectgus.com
Mon Nov 29 18:52:00 EST 2010

I think the outcome from the UAV discussions was to hold a special
meeting for UAV Challenge enthusiasts later this week, or this coming
weekend. All interested parties welcome.

In the absence of any other nomination, I suggest Sunday 2:30pm, Wig &
Pen in Civic. They have beer, tables, wifi.

However, I'm just coming as a spectator. So it's probably better if
someone else arranges and confirms this. :)

[Makers] UAVs
Jack Pittar jpittar at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 29 23:18:38 EST 2010

Another site to look at - RC Groups – outback challenge
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1206130

A UAV meeting  Sunday 2:30pm, Wig & Pen in Civic sounds good to me.
I would not be able to attend much earlier than that, and Saturday is out.

Jack.

[Makers] UAVs
Stephen Dade stephen_dade at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 30 00:13:41 EST 2010

Sunday 2:30pm, Wig & Pen sounds like a good idea.

On that topic, I've been developing a rough project plan in conjunction with
Dave Woodgate, detailing options for how the project could be managed and
run. It is meant as a starting point for our discussions on those topics.

We will distribute it to the makers list in the next day or two (once we've
finished writing it!) so that everyone attending the weekend UAV meeting has
a general idea of our options (the project management aspects anyway).

Also - could we lock the aforementioned meeting date in? I've got several
friends who are very interested in this project who are not on the MHV
mailing list (as I'm sure other MHV members do too) and I'd like to be able
to give them a definite time and place for the meeting.

Thanks
Stephen

Copyright 2010 http://www.makehackvoid.com/