[Canberrauav] Sunday flying recap
Stephen Dade stephen_dade at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 15 23:26:28 EST 2012

Hi everyone

We managed to get a fair amount of flying done today, despite the strong
winds. The highlights were:

-The Mugin copes exceptionally well in strong winds. The wind was westerly
at ~6-10 m/s for most of the day.

-The fixed ailerons worked very well. Next on the maintenance list are the
elevons and tail assembly.

-The "Engine stopping at 45min" problem still baffles us. Our first test was
to put in 1.3L (the amount of remaining fuel at the 45min mark), takeoff and
see what happens. The Mugin flew for about 15-20min before the engine cut
out again. The members at CMAC provided a number of potential theories and
solutions for us. Jack will look at implementing some of these in the coming
weeks.

-The new image detection algorithm worked quite well at detecting the Joe in
the orange vest (an issue for the previous version of the code)

-15 min into our second (third?) flight, the 5.8 GHz link started acting up.
Since this is a potential warning sign of a flat avionics battery, we landed
immediately. One on the ground the battery was found to be quite low. Before
next weekend, we will fit a voltage/current sensor to the battery for the
APM to monitor in flight.

-None of the avionics/antenna/power cables came loose during flight!
Apparently we're using enough sticky tape now.

See you all at MHV on Tuesday night.

-Stephen

[Canberrauav] Sunday flying recap
Jack Pittar jpittar at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jul 15 23:57:41 EST 2012

There were 3 flights. The second was half an hour. The wind was strong and
gusty, mostly NNW and NW, so after 10:30 or so we had the field to
ourselves. Jack.

Stephen Dade stephen_dade at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 16 20:44:57 EST 2012

I missed a few things from my initial report:

-We tried using the airspeed (pitot tube) sensor for our velocity rather
than GPS. This did not go well. It looks like the pitot tube needs more
work/calibration.

-I've put together a video of Sunday's events here:

http://youtu.be/UFCzeDZASPQ

Thanks

Stephen

Copyright 2012 http://canberrauav.org.au/