[Canberrauav] MHV Quadcopter Workshop
Stephen Dade stephen_dade at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 27 23:38:23 EST 2013

Hi everyone,

As has been previously mentioned, I (along with Alastair, Chris, Lachlan and
Andreas) will be running a build-your-own-quadcopter workshop at MHV next
month.

The quadcopter will be based on the ArdupilotMega hardware/software platform
(www.diydrones.com). This is the same autopilot used by CanberraUAV in the
2012 Outback UAV Challenge.

Basic details for the quadcopter:

Flight time: ~12 min

Payload: 200g (a greater/lesser payload will alter the 12 min flight time).
Max payload is ~500g

Size: 45x45cm (without propellers), 55x55cm (with propellers)

Basic details for the workshop:

Cost: $500. Non-MHV members will need to pay extra to access the workspace
(probably $50). I will need payment 2 weeks before the workshop.

Time: The workshop will be run over 3 evenings (7pm - 10pm) for construction
and 1 weekend afternoon (1-5pm) for flying.

Numbers: Due to space constraints at MHV we can only accommodate 10 people
at the workshop. If there is enough demand, we may run a 2nd workshop in
parallel.

Dates: The construction will be (tentatively) run on the 20/27th of Feb and
6th of March (Wednesdays). Flying will be on the weekend of the 9/10th
March.

At this point, what I need is an accurate idea of numbers for the workshop.
If you are interested, email me before 4th February.

Also - Feel free to distribute this around to any interested people!

Thanks

Stephen Dade

[Canberrauav] MHV Quadcopter Workshop
Jack Pittar jpittar at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 28 00:30:30 EST 2013

Hi Stephen,
I wish to partake. I feel I could also be useful in mentoring some of the
mechanical and wiring part of the build.
Two members of CMAC are also interested, but like myself, they already have
radios, receivers, batteries, and connectors etc.
Could we have a definitive list of parts, with prices, to select from?
It might be more useful to split it up into kits rather than  individual
parts. Eg - copter hardware kit, radio control, battery, APM.
Many people would want to know exactly what they are getting before they put
their money down.
How about interested parties who would like to attend, but are not building
their own quadcopter yet?
Has the prototype flown, and how did it go?
Jack.
[...]

[Canberrauav] [Makers] MHV Quadcopter Workshop
Stephen Dade stephen_dade at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 19:42:19 EST 2013

Jack,

The parts list has not been 100% finalised yet. There's still a few small
parts (screws, propellers, etc) that were the incorrect size for the beta
build. Once we can confirm that all the parts fit together and work, I'll
release a list (likely ~1 week from now).

The kit will contain everything needed to build and run the quadcopter. I
realise that some people may already have lipo chargers and
transmitters/receivers. There will be an option for attendees to not order
these parts if they already have them. One word of warning is that the
transmitter must be capable of being programmed to allow the APM flight mode
selection.

In terms of other parts, I'm reluctant to further divide the package and
allow people to bring their own motors/frames/etc. If the quadcopter has
custom parts, I can't guarantee that the parts will be compatible or their
effect on the flying characteristics of the quadcopter. The point of the
beta program is to test and confirm that a particular set of parts works
well together.

The prototype is currently being built. It should be ready for flight tests
next week.

[...]

[Canberrauav] More quadcopter workshop goodness
Stephen Dade stephen_dade at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 22:33:23 EST 2013

Hi again,

At this stage we've reached the limit of 10 people for the workshop (that
took all of 48 hours!)

Anyone else who is interested will be put on a standby list. If a space
opens up, I'll start adding people from the standby list - no guarantees
though.

I do intend to run a second workshop. It will likely be in August/September,
as I will be overseas for April->July.

-Stephen

Copyright 2013 http://canberrauav.org.au/