[Canberrauav] flying today (sonar testing)
Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Wed Oct 30 23:37:46 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Pat Hickey (the original author of the AP_HAL portability layer for APM)
is visiting Canberra today. Jack, Pat and I are planning to do some test
flights at CMAC this afternoon.

The main aim of the test flights is to see if an analog sonar works for
landing altitude. I have mounted a Maxbotix analog sonar on my AcroWot,
and setup ArduPlane to log the sonar data at 50Hz to the SD card and
10Hz over MAVLink.

We will probably find that the prop wash and doppler shift makes the
sonar impractical, but I'd like to do the test. We'll try some deadstick
landings as well in case that makes a difference (no prop wash).

Cheers, Tridge

[Canberrauav] sonar test results
Andrew Tridgell andrew at tridgell.net
Thu Oct 31 22:17:31 UTC 2013

We had a good day testing the sonar on the AcroWot yesterday.

Some results and logs are here:

  http://uav.tridgell.net/Sonar-tests/

We are clearly going to need some good filtering, but I think we can
make it work.

The sonar is a Maxbotix MB1240

Bruce Baxter bruce.baxter at bbsolutions.biz
Fri Nov 1 00:23:34 UTC 2013

I like your results very much.

Not sure how you wish to implement the sensor, but the aircraft doesn't
need to know how far from the ground until it hits ground effect.

Your sensor seems to work extremely well from 1-2 m about the level of
ground effect.
Great time to go to idle and hold pitch and let it sink down from 0.5m

On Friday, November 1, 2013, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> We had a good day testing the sonar on the AcroWot yesterday.
>
> Some results and logs are here:
>
>   http://uav.tridgell.net/Sonar-tests/
>
> We are clearly going to need some good filtering, but I think we can
> make it work.
>
> The sonar is a Maxbotix MB1240
>
> Cheers, Tridge

*Bruce Baxter*
*0422 570 449**
*

*Bruce Baxter Solutions*
*
*

[Canberrauav] sonar test results
Jack Pittar jpittar at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 1 04:20:39 UTC 2013

With filtering it would work reliably at medium to low speed, below 5
Metres, only over a non grass surface.
Good for:
The APM knowing when the plane is in the air/flying
Flaring when landing
Avoiding  a landing before the strip is reached
Knowing when to deploy/retract the camera
Jack.

Copyright 2013 http://canberrauav.org.au/