From: K...@psuvm.psu.edu
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech,rec.autos,sci.energy
Subject: Advocating Electric Cars
Date: 22 Mar 90 18:24:11 GMT

I recently browsed through articles about GM's electric car called Impact
in Popular Mechanics and Popular Science. Motor Trend also has some info
and a nice picture. Most of the info, however, in these articles is the same.
The notable exceptions are Popular Science's description of how Roger
Smith introduced the Impact as "producible" and Popular Mechanics' info that
accessories (AC, Lights, etc.) run off of batteries separate from those
that propel the vehicle.

I have composed a letter to CEO Roger Smith requesting that GM produce the
Impact. The letter is shown below. I want to thank a netter who sent me
Roger Smith's address. I confirmed the address by calling GM at
(313) 556-5000 and asking for the executive offices. The public relations
office at GM can be reached at (313) 556-2031.

I also offered to compose a standard letter which could be posted on the
network in a variety of formats (troff, etc.). Only one person has responded
favorably to that suggestion. Most people prefer to compose their own
letters, and that might be better anyway. BTW, you are free to use my
letter less paragraph 3.

                                                    P. O. Box 622
                                                    Milesburg, PA 16853
                                                    March 22, 1990

        Roger B. Smith
        Chief Executive Officer
        General Motors Corporation
        3044 West Grand Boulevard
        Detroit, MI 48202

        Dear Mr. Smith:

        I was extremely pleased to learn that General Motors has developed
        a truly practical electric car. I am referring to the Impact which
        was recently introduced at the Los Angeles Auto Show and which has
        been written about in various news magazines.

        According to an IEEE newsletter, General Motors is currently
        deciding whether or not to mass-produce the Impact. As a result,
        I have decided to write to you, as an automobile purchaser, and
        request that General Motors put the Impact into production as
        soon as possible.

        Also, I have access to a worldwide computer network. On this network
        a variety of issues are discussed including those dealing with
        automobiles and energy resources. The Impact has generated a large
        amount of excitement and praise for General Motors from members of
        the network. As a result, I have posted this letter on the network
        and encouraged others to write to you in support of the Impact.

        As one final sign of good faith and support, I promise to consider
        purchasing an Impact automobile when it is available.

        Sincerely,

        John R. Kasha