From: h...@eng.umd.edu (Henry K. Yu)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics
Subject: new battery, nickel-metal hydride
Date: 26 May 92 22:40:01 GMT
Originator: h...@frob.eng.umd.edu

On Monday, May 25, 1992, The Washington Post's Science Techonology section,
page A3 has an article titled "New Battery Required For Autos of Future" by
Boyce Rensberger, Washington Post Staff Writer.
What follows is a summary of the new battery's description.
I would like comments and contacts concerning this battery.
Can anyone who has the experience offers insight on this technology?
Comparison to current battery technology (nickel-iron, silver-zinc, lead-acid,
nickel-air, sodium-sulfur, etc.) would be very helpful.

Developed by Ovonic Battery Co. of Troy, Michigan, USA.
The small subsidiary of Energy Conversion Devices Inc. received $18.5 million
from the U.S. Advanced Battery Consortium last week.
`` The prototype battery will propel a compact car 300 miles on one charge,
go 0 to 60 miles per hour in eight seconds, attain a top speed of 100 miles
per hour, last 100,000 miles and recharge in 15 minutes.
`` Whereas the electrodes of conventional batteries are made of single metals
or simple alloys whose atoms are arrayed in the orderly spacing of crystal
lattices, the atoms in Ovonic's electrodes are of many kinds and are
deliberately positioned in extremely disordered, jumbled relationships with
one another.
``. . . one of its electrodes is made of an atomically disordered alloy of many
metals -- vanadium, titanium, zirconium, nickel, chromium and several others.
It is made by mixing vapors of the various metals so that atoms are deposited
individually in various ratios and relationships.
`` The Ovonic electrode can react all through its interior as well because
hydrogen ions can slip between atoms and bind deep inside.''

A sidebar of the article list the following comparisons:
``Source: Energy Conversion Devices Inc.''

                        Current Battery     The Ovonic
                        Technology          Battery

Range                   120 miles           More than 250 miles
Top speed               100 miles per hour  100 mph
Acceleration 0-60mph    8 seconds           Less than 8 seconds
Battery lifetime        20,000 miles        More than 100,000 miles
Recharge time           2 hours             15 minutes
Materials               Toxic               Nontoxic

Henry Yu