Newsgroups: ca.environment,sci.engr.mech,rec.autos.mech
From: tyl...@cco.caltech.edu (Tyler R. Holcomb)
Subject: GM electric vehicle Update pt 1
Sender: ne...@cco.caltech.edu
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1992 23:49:19 GMT

                                     G M

                              Electric Vehicles

                                                      July 23, 1992

We're glad to see support for electric vehicles continue to grow.  As we move
toward the  introduction date, there are several issues we are addressing. Some
examples include:

         * Charging at home
         * Standard charging for all electric vehicles
         * Safety during charging
         * Convenient charging stations

As we address these issues, we'll keep you informed through periodic updates.

Vehicle range is also important. A lot of people we've talked to are concerned
that the  range of an "EV" may preclude their owning one. So we've developed a
few questions to  help people see if an "EV" would satisfy their driving needs.

        * How often do they drive more than sixty miles one way?
        * How often do they carry more than one passenger?
        * How often do they spend less than two hours at any one location
                during the day?

The answer to these questions is usually "almost never. " That means that most
people  are candidates for a General Motors electric vehicle. We believe that
people will still  own an internal combustion engine vehicle for long trips.
But, an electric vehicle will  be a viable alternative for their second car.

Please tell us what questions and issues are important to you. Enclosed is a
questionnaire regarding zero-emissions and alternative-fuel vehicles. We would
appreciate it if you would complete it and return it to us. This will help us
better plan the  information we provide in our communications with you.

In the meantime, if you have any questions about our program or electric
vehicle issues,  feel free to call at (800) 25-ELECTRIC or (800) 253-5328.

                                  Sincerely,

                                  John R. Dabels
                                  Director, Market Development

Enclosure

General Motors Electric Vehicles Resource Center
432 North Saginaw Street, Suite 801 Flint, MI 48502

1-800-25-ELECTRIC (1-800-253-5328)

Tyler Holcomb   *   "Remember, one treats others with courtesy and repsect *
tylerh@juliet   *   not because they are gentlemen or gentlewomen, but     *
  caltech.edu   *   because you are."  - paraphrased from Garth Henrichs   *