From: f...@panix.com (Frank Deutschmann)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics,rec.autos,sci.energy
Subject: Efficiency of electric cars
Date: 7 Dec 1993 15:45:52 -0500

All this discussion of electric cars has got me wondering:
	Has anyone ever crunched the numbers and come up with an honest
comparison of efficiency for electric vehicles and gasoline-powered
vehicles?  (I mean efficiency in terms of most miles per barrel of
crude oil, as reduced reliance on foreign oil seems to be a major
emphasis of the electric car movement.)

I would be really curious to see the numbers, as I can't imagine that
electrics could really beat gas...All the losses in generating,
moving, and storing the electricity must be rather large, compared to
refining, transporting, and burning gasoline.

Very curious,
-frank

--
f...@panix.com  | I don't know if I'm destined for Heaven or Hell;
1 917 992 2248 | I only hope that God grades on a curve....