From: jf...@acpub.duke.edu (Joel Furr)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.suburban,alt.folklore.urban,alt.fan.joel-furr
Subject: Urban Legend of the Day: The Amazing Invention
Date: 11 May 1994 12:12:43 GMT

Urban legend of the day: the amazing invention that accidentally gets into
a consumer's hands and is eventually tracked down by the company and
bought back for $$$.

Sometime's it's something so pedestrian as a razor blade that never goes
dull, but often it's the car that gets thousands of miles per gallon.

I first heard it as this guy bought a car at a Dodge dealership and went
driving around.  Didn't fill the tank after he left the dealership, since
it already had a nearly full tank.  Drove around for the better part of a
week in town and noticed the tank still wasn't getting empty.  Peered into
the tank to see if the indicator was broken, and the tank was almost full
of gas.  Drove off to Charlotte and got there *without* having to fuel up.

Upon checking into his hotel in Charlotte, he got a call from his wife
saying that men from Chrysler were there offering hundreds of thousands of
dollars if they could buy back the car -- it was an experimental model and
wasn't supposed to leave the lot.

The moral of this story is usually that companies are conspiring to keep
wondrous devices of this sort out of our hands since they'd break the back
of the oil industry (or, in the case of the ever-sharp razor blades,
destroy the razor blade industry since no one would ever need to buy any
more).

Anyone ever heard this one, or a variation on it?