From: bi...@execnet.com (BILLC)
Subject: Pb & the electric car!
Date: 1995/06/04
distribution: world
references: <8AA953A.0628005381.uuout@execnet.com>
organization: Execnet Information System - 914-667-4567 - 198.232.143.136
reply-to: bi...@execnet.com (BILLC)
newsgroups: sci.energy
x-mailer: PCBoard/UUOUT Version 1.10

I have been following the threads on the elec. car & air pollution on
this and other newsgroups.  I'm not very impressed by the force of the
arguments in favor of switching pollution from urban to remote
locations.  Why ruin a more pristine environment to satisfy the
selfishness of the urban masses.  Anyway, I've never seen a study that
doesn't contradict my gut feeling that the inefficieny of generation,
transmission, and storage of the electricity will not mandate more air
pollution ; especially if a dirty fuel like coal in burned.

Now the 19 May issue of SCIENCE has an article on p 992 from
Carniege-Mellon that concludes:" A 1998 model electric car is estimated
to release 60 times more lead per kilometer of use relative to a
comparable car burning leaded gasoline"  Their argument is based on the
Pb releases attendant on the smelting or recycling of sufficient Pb to
make the Pb/acid battery (the only economically feasible one at hand)
and the manufacture of the batteries.

I have no basis to challange this conclusion which vitiates much of the
policy rhetoric on urban air pollution.  Another illustration of the
Law of Unintended Consequences?

Oh well!  I guess we get the goverment we deserve.  Policy IS made by
technical illeterates.
---
  SLMR 2.1a  Old Chemists never die!  They just reach Equilibrium.

organization: Boston University - CAS/CNS
newsgroups: sci.energy

In article <8AAA3FC.0628...@execnet.com> bi...@execnet.com (BILLC)
writes:
> Now the 19 May issue of SCIENCE has an article on p 992 from
> Carniege-Mellon that concludes:" A 1998 model electric car is estimated
> to release 60 times more lead per kilometer of use relative to a
> comparable car burning leaded gasoline"  Their argument is based on the
> Pb releases attendant on the smelting or recycling of sufficient Pb to
> make the Pb/acid battery (the only economically feasible one at hand)
> and the manufacture of the batteries.
>
> I have no basis to challange this conclusion which vitiates much of the
> policy rhetoric on urban air pollution.  Another illustration of the
> Law of Unintended Consequences?
>
> Oh well!  I guess we get the goverment we deserve.  Policy IS made by
> technical illeterates.
> ---
>   SLMR 2.1a  Old Chemists never die!  They just reach Equilibrium.

Those involved with the electric vehicle industry were rather surprised by the
report.  Their review of it found a number of problems.  Here's a summary that
was posted on the EV mailing list:
--

    1.  The study is inaccurate and sloppy.  In their haste to
discredit the EV movement, the authors have published a seriously

    2. The study was done with an axe to grind. Far from being an
unbiased independent investigation, it was commissioned and
carried out to mislead the public and dishearten the proponents
of EVs.

    3. Publicly available information shows that the study
recieved petroleum and auto industry money.

    This document should have never been published in a reputable
journal such as Science, much less picked up and run on the front
page of the New York Times. That it was indicates that pressure
from established interests forced its publication.

Inaccuracy

    The primary point and the one that should recieve the most
emphasis is the study's sheer inaccuracy.

    In a letter to Science, David Goldstein of Program
Development Associates in Gaithersburg, Maryland examines and
rejects the study's arguments, pointing out where mistaken
assumptions and mathematical errors have caused mistaken
conclusions.  The study's mistakes are numerous, fatally
undercutting its credibility.

    a.  It overstates the battery mass of an "Available
Technology" EV by a factor of three.  The authors assume a
battery mass of 1378 kg (3,032 lb), ignoring the fact that the
entire weight of the GM Impact, including batteries, is 1350 kg
(2970 lb).  Even the 17-year old EVT-1 has a total weight of only
1509 kg (3320 lbs).

     Impact's battery pack (derived from the
capacity times energy density) is approximately 420 kg or 925 lb

     b.  It is wrong about the energy density of lead-acid
batteries. By confusing kilograms with pounds, the authors
mistakenly state that the value is 18 watt-hrs/kg. The correct
value is 40 wh/kg or 18.18 wh/lb.

     c. It is wrong about the energy capacity of the Impact's
battery pack, deriving a capacity figure of 25kWh from the
incorrect battery mass times the incorrect energy density. The
Impact's battery pack is 16.8 kWhr.

     d. It overstates the car's energy consumption as 310 wh/km
when the figure is closer to 100 whr/kg. If one takes the car's
average range of 80 km times x 310 whr/km, energy required would
be 24.8 kWh, greater than the capacity of the battery pack!

    e.  It uses data from the ETV-1, a 17-year old test vehicle
as an example of current technology.  EV technology has moved far
beyond the ETV-1.  As Goldstein states, "it is rather like
comparing a Model T Ford with a Chevrolet Corvette." ETV-1
aceleration performance was 0-30 mph in 9 seconds; Impact does
0-60 in 8.5.

    f. It underestimates battery cycle life, using the 450 cycle
value from the 17 year-old ETV-1, ignoring the 500-600 cycle
lifetime of today's sealed lead-acids and the 900 cycle life of
the new Electrosource Horizon. Goldstein points out that "this
factor alone would cut the calculated lead "emissions" by half."

Bias

    The authors seize upon factors that support their conclusion
and ignore those that don't. Clearly the conclusion was written
first and the data twisted to validate it. For example:

     The authors use their own estimate of environmental lead
discharges, based on a Bureau of Mines study that happened before
environmental regulations were implemented. They use guesses to
make an estimate of current discharges instead of attempting to
obtain exact data. To quote Goldstein, "In view of the the
authors' careless mistakes throughout the study, one can hardly
view these guestimates with any degree of credibility."

    "Even if we accept the authors highly questionable
percentages," says Goldstein, "the worst-case senario for
lead-based waste products would be no more than approximately 3
times (not "60 times") the amount of lead released from leaded
gasoline.  However, most of this material would be in a
locally-controlled solid waste form - not the air emissions
associated with gasoline."

    He then points out that it will take two decades for EVs
to reach 5 % of the total US vehicle population. Within 5 years
these EVs will use advanced battery technologies that offer
increased range and greater environmental advantages over ICEs.

    Accornding to Goldstein, the study also:

    Ignores the study by the Union of Concerned Scientists, a
group with the highest reputation and responsibility.  UCS found
that introducing EVs in northern states would reduces CO
emissions by 99.8 percent, VOCs by 90 percent, NOx by 80 percent
and C02 by 60 percent.  UCS also determined that EVs were
significantly cleaner than the even the proposed ULEV gasoline
vehicles.

    Ignores the presence of hundreds of millions of automotive
lead batteries already IN the environment.  Compared to that, the
number of EV batteries will be a negligible addition.
Furthermore, despite the increase in vehicle population, CDC data
show that blood lead levels in the US are declining.

    Ignores the percentage of lead recycled in battery
manufacturing (97 percent for flooded lead-acids).

    Ignores the changes in manufacturing facilites for sealed
lead acids (cleanroom versus factory floor)

    Does not consider the environmental effect of displacing 10
million ICE cars with EVs over the next two decades.

    Ignores the damage done by toxic oil spills in rivers, lakes
and oceans.

    Does not discriminate between airborne lead emissions and
solid waste slag, which can be easily controlled at the origin
point.

    Ignores sources of lead such as the heavy accumulation of old
paint on bridges (EPA cites this as a major source) and flaking
paint on old houses.

    There are other points in addition to Goldstein's. Metallic
lead enters the environment through various paths. Lead sources
include:

    Lead weights for tire and wheel balancing. How many tons of
these get thrown to the side of the road each year?

    Lead shot and lead sinkers used by hunters and fishermen.
These are a significant enough source that some states have
outlawed their use.

    Batteries in industrial trucks and golf carts, which
presently outnumber road-going EVs and will continue to do so for
decades.

    Small disposable batteries from consumer electronics, toys,
etc. How many AA, C and D cells end up in landfill?

    Although metallic lead is fairly inert, interaction with
acids or oxidizing agents turns it into water soluble toxic
compounds.  This is the process called leaching.  Lead ingested
by or shot into an organism encounters strong organic acids that
transform it.  Birds will eat fine lead shot.  The pH of their
stomachs is 1-2.  The toxin kills the bird and is released to do
more damage when the carcass decays.  Acid rain works more slowly
(but in much larger quantities) on discarded lead weights.

Source of Support

    The Carnegie Mellon Science article footnote 19 acknowledges
two research grants for their study.  These include National
Science Foundation grant EEC-8943164, from the Green Design
Consortium of the Carnegie-Mellon University Engineering Design
Research Center and NSF grant 9319731.  It might be noted that
the amount of the first NSF grant is $13,571,655.

     This information is publicly available from Carnegie Mellon
University. They describe the purpose of their Engineering Design
Resarch Center:

    "The goal of the Engineering Design Research Center at
Carnegie Mellon University is to provide the research and
educational base for the development and integration of design
methodologies that will make US industry preeminent in design
practice."

      This includes evaluating "marketability (or user
acceptability)".

    The EDRC's directory lists industry affiliates.  Among them
are BP America, Exxon Research and Engineering, Mobil R and D,
and Shell Development.

    The Green Design Consortium of the ERDC "is open to
industrial partners interested in participating and guiding
consortium projects." Membership (on the order of $10-20K yearly)
benefits include:

    "The opportunity to provide input on research direction and
suggest specific research programs"

    "Access to:  Carnegie Mellon University laboratories and
researchers, Green Design research data, working papers, and
government research grants through cooperative university
proposals."

    NSF grant 9319731 totals $450,000. The instigator is Lester
B.  Lave, for a Management of Technology program.

    This grant discusses developing a system to measure the
environmental consequences of alternative products or designs.
It is to be implemented in the the design of printers for a large
computer company, but there is a statement that says "The Ford
Motor Company will work with us in transfering the research
results...to quite a different setting."
--
Clark Dorman
http://cns-web.bu.edu/pub/dorman/Dorman.html

organization: CRL Dialup Internet Access (415) 705-6060  [Login: guest]
newsgroups: sci.energy

BILLC (bi...@execnet.com) wrote:
: I have been following the threads on the elec. car & air pollution on
: this and other newsgroups.  I'm not very impressed by the force of the
: arguments in favor of switching pollution from urban to remote
: locations.  Why ruin a more pristine environment to satisfy the
: selfishness of the urban masses.  Anyway, I've never seen a study that
: doesn't contradict my gut feeling that the inefficieny of generation,
: transmission, and storage of the electricity will not mandate more air
: pollution ; especially if a dirty fuel like coal in burned.

: Oh well!  I guess we get the government we deserve.  Policy IS made by
: technical illiterates.

The EVs thus far running, when compared on the basis of equal size,
performance and range, can be out-performed 10 to one in energy
consumption by little gas buggies with motorcycle engines that get 100
miles per gallon. Only when we import ten times as much oil can we switch
to EVs.

Here is how that is computed:

This analysis is based on actual EV test track performance data

Some 70 electric vehicles (EVs) participated in 1992-93 testing events at
the Phoenix 500, Atlanta Clean Air Grand Prix, American Tour de Sol and
the Ford HEV at Dearborn. Data was collected, and as one reporter stated,
"analyzing this data is very difficult". Results were not related to
non-EV vehicles, except they compared within their group the Zero
Emission Vehicles (ZEV) and the Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV). ZEVs are
propelled by batteries alone, and HEV have an internal combustion engine
(gasoline) as Auxiliary Power Unit (APU). One observer noted that in APU
operations mode, energy costs were about twice as high as when in pure
ZEV operations mode, and he concluded therefrom that "it is hard to
escape the fact that electricity makes sense".

Major things wrong with above conclusion

Pre-thermal-conversion gasoline was compared with post-thermal-conversion
electricity. Taxes were included in gasoline, but none for electricity.
The gasoline was measured at entry into the vehicle and the EVs' electric
energy was measured after where major on-board losses occur, i.e. just
before the motors. These inequities in favor of EVs amount to 75% for
thermal conversion (and transmission), 40% for taxes and 25% for
measurement location. To travel with two-passenger capacity powered by
something that delivers 20 to 30 Hp,  an internal combustion engine (IC)
from a motorcycle would suffice. It  would get about 100 miles per gallon
(mpg) at 60 miles per hour (mph). At 37 kWhs/gallon this comes to IC
(pre-thermal-conversion input) = 370 Watt-hours/mile . The EVs in the
tests used highly inflated special tires to reduce rolling resistance
(RR). A 4000 lbs EV would have an RR = 4000*0.02 = 80 lbs with normal
tires, but only RR = 4000*0.005 = 20 lbs with special tires, a difference
of 4 to one. Also, the EVs' average speed on open road was only about 35
mph. To compare at 60 mph, requires air drag (AD) energy increase in
proportion to square of speed. Conversion factors 5280 ft/mile and 2655
ft-lbs/Watt-hour. "Thermal-conversion" means burning fuel to obtain
mechanical energy.

Dearborn Proving Ground results properly compared

In Dearborn tests the worst EV used 270, the average 213, and the best
161 Watt-hours/mile (pre-motor). Let's use the average, multiply by motor
efficiency to bring it to energy at pavement (AD + RR),  213*0.9 = 192,
(assume weight 4000 lbs) less rolling energy  192 - 4000*0.005*5280/2,655
= 192 - 40 = 152 (AD energy at 35 mph), increase 152* 60^2/35^2 = 447 (AD
energy at 60 mph), add normal tire rolling energy  447 + 40*4 = 607
Watt-hours/mile output energy at road surface. To obtain input divide
output by efficiency factors, motors 0.9, batteries & charger 0.75, power
transmission & thermal conversion 0.25  for a total EV
(pre-thermal-conversion input) of 607/(0.9*0.75*0.25) ~ 3600
Watt-hours/mile. Divide by the above calculated IC amount, and the
conclusion is:

EVs use about 10 times as much energy as equivalent ICs

Calculations and conclusions are based on reported test results and on
equal size and equal performance comparison. Prepared by Ernst G. Knolle,
Mechanical Engineer, licensed in  California and Europe, California
License No. 12372, member of the New York Academy of Sciences. Address:
Knolle Magnetrans, 2691 Sean Court, South San Francisco, CA 94080,
U.S.A., phone (415)871-9816, fax 871-0867, e-mail kno...@crl.com.
Revised December 10, 1994

: writes:
: > Now the 19 May issue of SCIENCE has an article on p 992 from
: > Carniege-Mellon that concludes:" A 1998 model electric car is estimated
: > to release 60 times more lead per kilometer of use relative to a
: > comparable car burning leaded gasoline"  Their argument is based on the

: Those involved with the electric vehicle industry were rather surprised by the
: report.  Their review of it found a number of problems.  Here's a summary that
: was posted on the EV mailing list:
: --
(Political babble omitted)

: Inaccuracy
On both sides?

:     The primary point and the one that should recieve....
Get a spelling checker.

:     a.  It overstates the battery mass of an "Available
: Technology" EV by a factor of three.  The authors assume a
: battery mass of 1378 kg (3,032 lb), ignoring the fact that the
: entire weight of the GM Impact, including batteries, is 1350 kg
: (2970 lb).
The needed battery mass depends on how far you want to drive. The 2970
lbs GM Impact included batteries to carry it 70 miles in city, and 90
miles in highway driving. For double the distance, you need double the
batteries. Here in California we would need at least a 200 mile
range. (Ref. IEEE Spectrum Nov 1992, p. 18-24, 93-101)

:     b. By confusing kilograms with pounds, the author...

:     d. It overstates the car's energy consumption as 310 wh/km
: when the figure is closer to 100 whr/kg. ......
And who is confused here? Is this going to be a contest as to whether BU
or CMU can be more confusing? Can't you guys employ some proof-readers?
The number originally given was 140wh/mile, but that is based on a lot of
deceiving little gimmicks. Like, having extremely hard tires, measuring
at the motor, and ignoring substantial other on-board losses. (Read my
other posting)

:     e.  It uses data from the ETV-1...  As Goldstein states, "it is
: rather like : comparing a Model T Ford with a Chevrolet Corvette." ETV-1
: aceleration performance was 0-30 mph in 9 seconds; Impact does
: 0-60 in 8.5.
The GM Impact was produced by an under-employed Southern California
aerospace team. It is made of 100 times more expensive carbon fiber
material. It is a two-seater, has a 137 Hp motor intended as a high
performance sports car at a price tag of $120,000, batteries not
included (just a joke).

: the amount of the first NSF grant is $13,571,655.
To think that I do all this for nothing. Read my other posting in this
thread.

Ernst Knolle

>:     a.  It overstates the battery mass of an "Available
>: Technology" EV by a factor of three.  The authors assume a
>: battery mass of 1378 kg (3,032 lb), ignoring the fact that the
>: entire weight of the GM Impact, including batteries, is 1350 kg
>: (2970 lb).
>The needed battery mass depends on how far you want to drive. The 2970
>lbs GM Impact included batteries to carry it 70 miles in city, and 90
>miles in highway driving. For double the distance, you need double the
>batteries. Here in California we would need at least a 200 mile
>range. (Ref. IEEE Spectrum Nov 1992, p. 18-24, 93-101)

What percentage of Californians drive 200 miles one way to work?  100
miles one way?  You avoided discussion of the error in the report.
Call Chevrolet and ask them the configuration of the Impact.

Regards,

Will Stewart

Will Stewart (will...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: In <3r22is$b...@crl5.crl.com> kno...@crl.com (Ernst G. Knolle) writes:
: >
: >Clark Dorman (dor...@cochlea.bu.edu) wrote:

: >:     a.  It overstates the battery mass of an "Available
: >lbs GM Impact included batteries to carry it 70 miles in city, and 90
: >miles in highway driving. For double the distance, you need double the
: >batteries. Here in California we would need at least a 200 mile
: >range. (Ref. IEEE Spectrum Nov 1992, p. 18-24, 93-101)

: What percentage of Californians drive 200 miles one way to work?  100
: miles one way?  You avoided discussion of the error in the report.

Will,

In our Crown Victoria the low fuel light comes when you can still drive
it safely another 80 miles, that is at my speed 90 minutes of freeway
driving. As soon my wife sees the big yellow light, she comes apart. She
start by reciting all the gas stations that we already passed before the
light even came on, and that she told me so to get first gas  and that we
are surely going to run out of the damn stuff.

Now, Will, if we had an EV with only a 70 mile range, would I ever
even get it out of the garage?

Please, I am only just barely hanging on to my sanity.

Ernst

PS. Clark Dorman's error "d. ..100 whr/Kg .." Should correctly be 100
whr/mile.

Ernst G. Knolle (kno...@crl.com) wrote:
: Will Stewart (will...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: : In <3r22is$b...@crl5.crl.com> kno...@crl.com (Ernst G. Knolle) writes:
: : >
: : >Clark Dorman (dor...@cochlea.bu.edu) wrote:

: : >:     a.  It overstates the battery mass of an "Available
: : >lbs GM Impact included batteries to carry it 70 miles in city, and 90

: Will,

: Now, Will, if we had an EV with only a 70 mile range, would I ever
: even get it out of the garage?

: Please, I am only just barely hanging on to my sanity.

: Ernst

: PS. Clark Dorman's error "d. ..100 whr/Kg .." Should correctly be 100
: whr/mile.

Second PS: The 1992 data of the GM Impact includes (1) energy use 140
whrs/mile, (2) 137 Hp motor and (3) 72 mph top speed.

Mindless Clark Dorman bandies around the 140 number, rounded off to 100.

So, let me do you a little calculation. Assuming that at top speed of 72 mph
the engine runs at full power of 137 Hp, then we have an energy use of
137x745.7/72 = 1420 whr/mile. That is 14 time greater than Dorman's
number.

I think Dorman should teach a course at Boston University on "How to lie
with Statistics".

Ernst

I wrote :

    " d. It overstates the car's energy consumption as 310 wh/km
when the figure is closer to 100 whr/kg. If one takes the car's
average range of 80 km times x 310 whr/km, energy required would
be 24.8 kWh, greater than the capacity of the battery pack!"

No, it should be 100 whr/km, and that should be fairly obvious from the
context.  I switched a "g" for a "m".  Sorry, mea culpa.  The whole point is
that the authors of the study haphazardly mixed units, as you are apparently
doing as well.  Yes, my post had a typo, but I think the number is correct,
and certainly much better than 310 whr/km.

> Second PS: The 1992 data of the GM Impact includes (1) energy use 140
> whrs/mile, (2) 137 Hp motor and (3) 72 mph top speed.

What is 100 whr/km in whr/mile?  Actually, it's 161 whr/mile.  Using your 140
whrs/mile, the Impact uses only 87 whr/km.

HERE'S THE POINT:  THE AUTHORS OF THE REPORT USED 310 WH/KM.  IT IS _WAY_ OFF.

Yes, I know I'm shouting, but you seem to be missing this point.  Do you think
that the authors' number is accurate?  If you want to, go ahead and recompute
the values in the report yourself.

> Mindless Clark Dorman bandies around the 140 number, rounded off to 100.

Mindless Ernst Knolle doesn't understand units.

> So, let me do you a little calculation. Assuming that at top speed of 72 mph
> the engine runs at full power of 137 Hp, then we have an energy use of
> 137x745.7/72 = 1420 whr/mile. That is 14 time greater than Dorman's
> number.

1.  Assuming that the "engine" is putting out 137 Hp at 72 mph is incredibly
stupid.  The limitation on the speed of the Impact was not the motor but the
controller, which artificially limited the speed to 72 mph.  The present
record for non-track based EV's is 187 mph, set by the Impact with a new
controller in spring of 1994.  Slightly higher than 72 mph, eh?

2.  There is this thing called air resistance.  Look into it.  I'll use small
words so you'll understand.  As you go faster, the drag on the car from the
air goes up.  At 72 mph, the resistance is much higher than at 55 mph.  The
resistance goes up much faster than linear.

3.  In modern usage of the words, electic vehicles do not have engines; they
have motors.

> I think Dorman should teach a course at Boston University on "How to lie
> with Statistics".
>
> Ernst

And you are clearly unqualified to teach anything.
[...]

Now, now, Clark,

Just because I lose my civility, doesn't mean you have to follow suit.
Your info now makes sense. Your teaching qualification are restored.

Let's work it backwards. At 187 mph (280 fps) we get air drag at sea
level = drag factor x sea level factor x frontal area x speed*2 = .19 x
.00116 x 20 x 280*2 = 347 lbs air drag, add to that rolling resistance of
extra hard tires = weight x RR factor = 3000 x .005 = 15 lbs for total
resistance to forward motion 347 + 15 = 362 lbs. At 280 fps and 550
fps/Hp it comes to 280 x 362/550 = 184 Hp, which is not too far off the
listing of 137 Hp in 1992. Keep in mind that motors can be routinely
overloaded by 50%. Also, the the Impact is a two-seater and my assumed
frontal area of 20 sq.ft. may be off. I also ignored motor-to-road
efficiency.

Clark, how am I doing thus far?

Now, at 60 mph (90 fps), same calculation, the air drag comes down to 36
lbs and the energy 4,560/550 = 8 Hp or 4560/(.737 x 60) = 103 whr/mile.

Clark, I never got an "A" for anything. How about giving me one now?

However, if people don't want to ride a truck disguised as an EV,
and if mom wants to take her three kids to school and not make three
trips, we need a normal sensible vehicle with soft tires and more than
just elbow room.

Then there are the simply enormous energy losses that EVs would cause. A
little motor cycle engine driven two-seater would beat this EV at a ratio
of about ten to one in energy use. See my previous postings. Of course, EV
fanatics don't want be confused by facts. (Sorry, Clark, I started up
determined to be nice to you, but I couldn't help slipping this in.)

Ernst