From: fen@megatest (Fen Labalme)
Newsgroups: net.emacs
Subject: Whither GNU EMACS ?
Date: Wed, 26-Jun-85 20:31:06 EDT

Originally posted on June 24, but the Megatest Mailer Monster ate it...
I would like to try to shed some light on what has become the great
GNU EMACS copyright debate.

As many of you may know, Richard Stallman originally wrote EMACS
around 1974.  He did not charge for distributions.  Rather, he
insisted that users "join the EMACS software-sharing commune."
EMACS was used extensively throughout the MIT and ARPA communities.
Many similar editors exist:  SINE, FINE, EINE, ZWEI, etc.

While working on his thesis at CMU, Jim Gosling began work on FRED.
Borrowing some ideas from Mike Kazar's FINE editor (notably the
keymapping paradigm) he re-wrote the code to produce the first UNIX
EMACS circa 1980.  I received one of these early versions in 1981,
and later, version #85 in May of 1982.

I (and others) made many modifications to EMACS along the way.  Most
of these got sent back to JAG@CMU for incorporation into future rel-
eases.  As I had personal contact with several sites in California
(decwrl, sun, ucb, Shasta, and others) I asked Jim if I could distribute
my modifications directly.  He granted me such permission in an informal
(email) note.  This note said that I could make releases, provided that
I provided to each site a complete copy of his original code.  My
changes were to be released separately.  As it happened, my release
tapes contained two files:  my version first followed by Jim's original
version.

On January 3, 1985, Fred Pack of UniPress contacted me, asking if I had
permission to distribute EMACS and what the current state of my work was.
I have since spent some time looking for the note that I received from
Jim Gosling.  As it is somewhere on a three year old dump tape, and we
have a very large distributed system, I have not found it easy to locate.
I am still looking for the note.

On April 22, I talked to Jim about the matter.  He remembered having given
different distribution permissions to different people, but didn't recall
what exactly he might have granted to me.  He also stated that the real
reason behind the copyright notice was to keep others from profiting from
his work. It is inexplicable why Gosling's current statements differ from
what he said to me.

The spirit of the original UNIX distributions was very similar to that of
Richard Stallman's.  In fact, to quote frome Jim Gosling's "Unix Emacs"
manual, dated May 1982: "Calling this editor EMACS is rather presumptious
and even dangerous.... Unix Emacs was called EMACS in the hope that cries
of outrage would be enough to goad the author and others to bring it up
to the standards of what has come before."  Now that we have done so
(with GNU EMACS) I am surprised and dismayed that the loudest objections
come from the author of this statement.

As one of the "others" who helped to bring EMACS up to speed, I was
distressed when Jim sold the editor to UniPress.  This seemed to be
a direct violation of the trust that I and others had placed in
Jim as we sent him our improvements, modifications, and bug fixes.
I am especially bothered by the general mercenary attitude surrounding
EMACS which has taken over from the once proud "hacker" ethic -- EMACS is
a tool that can make all of our lives better.  Let's help it to grow!

I have been striving to treat UniPress fairly.  I have
been in communication with them for the last 6 months, and have sent them
2 letters, neither of which have been answered to date.  Instead, what I
have gotten is a series of aspersions against me and the GNU project
posted publicly in net.emacs.  I feel that I have treated the parties
involved honorably and have remained well within the bounds of the law at
all times.  I am currently awaiting a response from UniPress regarding an
agreement that I sent to them several weeks ago.  I will gladly keep the
net informed as to developments regarding this matter.

					Fen Labalme

From: Fen Labalme  < megatest!fen@Shasta>