From: martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Joaquim Martillo)
Newsgroups: net.emacs
Subject: Gnu Emacs & Copyright Laws
Date: Mon, 15-Jul-85 12:08:39 EDT

Unlike RMS I  am not driven  by ideological fervor  to  take a   stand
against "software  hoarding."  I  was willing  to  "prostitute" myself
and work for ATT Bell  Laboratories.   But I learned  Unix in the days
when the government  forbade  ATT  to sell  Unix  as  a product.   The
material which came out  of the Computer Research  Group then was much
more interesting  than the substandard Unix called  5V2.  The computer
research software was interesting because  the research group was able
to give and receive  ideas from  the  university environment.  Now ATT
is    so paranoic about  protecting  "trade   secrets"  that they  NIH
(NDH)'ed almost every interesting idea in the system.

Xerox's  paranoia basically kept  almost everyone  from learning about
some of  the interesting new    computer   ideas developed  in   their
research  environment and  in   the end this  paranoic concealment  of
ideas is harming Xerox.

RMS  could  easily  be correct that the current   system of industrial
software development hinders  both  research and  harms business.  The
justification that  someone must pay for the   development environment
is   incorrect because hardware  is   worthless without good software.
Therefore the  hardware manufactures have an interest  in  seeing good
new software freely available.

The current  situation  needs people  to  take strong  stands  against
ridiculously rigid interpretations of copyright laws.  If I compose  a
piece  of  written   material, the  convention  is   I  can use  three
consecutive  words from  someone  else's writings  unattributed.    In
scholarly literature, properly  attributed   quotation  is  considered
acceptable up to  about 20% of the composition.   A ridiculously rigid
interpretation of the copyright laws  could  easily require an  author
to get  permission   for  every single  quote,  but this is  silly and
everyone  knows it.  Software  copyright  law is  still relatively new
and no one knows the  commonsense measure.   This  lack of commonsense
measure is being used to scare people.

I would suggest  1 pages of  unattributed code (of  generic  functions
like  strcpy) in a  software  project of at   least moderate  size  is
acceptable.   In  a similar  project, complaining about   10%  or less
attributed code is  silly.   Now the disputed modules   in   Gnu Emacs
constitue about 5% of the  code and I  suspect  less than 10%  of  the
original  version of Gosling's emacs.    Further of the  modules which
contain Gosling's copyright,  Trm.h (a 3  page module)  has  about 50%
(by line  excluding comments) of  its code in common with  the current
version of  Unipress   Emacs.   The difference   between   the current
version of Unipress Emacs and  Gnu Emacs dsp.c (a   5 page module)  is
90%.  The differences between  current version of  Unipress  Emacs and
Gnu Emacs display.c  (a  19 page  module) is about   80%. For all  the
modules which Fen LeBalme gave RMS permission to  use, the differences
are  similar.  Unipress   is not  even using  the   disputed  software
anymore!  Now, these modules contain code people like  Chris Torek and
others contributed when Gosling's emacs  was  in the public domain.  I
must  wonder  whether  these  people would  have  contributed had they
known their freely-given  code was going to become   part of someone's
product.

The  use  of   this freely-given  code   in  the product seems  rather
questionable if this code does not remain freely  available for others
to use even despite the copyright notice.   Trying to forbid  RMS from
using discarded code so that he must spend time to reinvent  the wheel
supports  his  contention that "software  hoarders"  are slowing  down
progress in computer science.

If using  the discarded code  is  wrong, I must wonder  why  display.c
(p. 10) contains the following notice.

/****************************************************************************\
* 									     *
* The following hack and all following lines involving the variable	     *
* "DoneEarly" cause the bottom line of the screen to be redisplayed before   *
* any others if it has changed and it would be redrawn in-place.  This is    *
* purely for Emacs, people using this package for other things might want to *
* lobotomize this section.						     *
* 									     *
\****************************************************************************/

[ Insert your favorit clever quote here. ]

Excerpt from: martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Joaquim Martillo)
    <allegra!mit-eddie!mit-athena!martillo>

   Software copyright law is still relatively new and no one knows
   the commonsense measure.  This lack of commonsense measure is
   being used to scare people.

   I would suggest 1 pages of unattributed code (of generic functions
   like strcpy) in a software project of at least moderate size is
   acceptable.  In a similar project, complaining about 10% or less
   attributed code is silly.

A tangential point here which might be of interest.  When depositing
code with the Copyright Office, one is required only to submit:

"... one copy of identifying portions of the program ... 'identifying
portions' shall mean either the first and last 25 pages of the
program ... together with the page or equivalent unit containing the
copyright notice, if any."  [1]

Also, use of generic functions does not necessarily constitute copyright
violation or preclude copyrighting.  After submiting a work for
copyright, if the person submiting the forms has claimed exclusive
authorship, a form letter which basically asks:

[To what extent does the deposited program contain preexisting
materials?  Your application implies ...] "... that the program
is entirely new and contains no SUBSTANTIAL (my emphasis) amount of
material that has been previously registered or published or that
has become standard usage for certain purposes.  Although some
programmers crate from scratch all parts of their programs, we
understand that many draw from libraries or previously developed
programs or routines in creating a new program." [1]

A general comment: Many of the submissions "explaining" the law
regarding copyrights, patents, and trade secret which I see on
the net seem to have many misconceptions.  (I do not mean to
imply anything negative about the above excerpted article, as it
expresses wishes, rather than claims things are facts.)  It seems
to me that some of these people should do some reading before they
start writing.  Herewith, some suggestions:

[1] "A Software Law Primer", Frederic W. Neitzke, 1984, Van
    Nostrand Reinhold, page 52.

[2] "Law and the Computer", Michael C. Gemignani, 1981, CBI
    Publishing.

A quick quiz:  If I put:

/* great.c - Great C program
 * (C) 1984 by Michael Zaleski */

at the beginning of my great C program, have I preserved my
legal copyright rights?

The surprising answer is NO!  See page 50 of [1].

-- "The Model Citizen" Mike^Z
   Zaleski@Rutgers   [ allegra!, ihnp4! ] pegasus!mzal

> Also, use of generic functions does not necessarily constitute copyright
> violation or preclude copyrighting.

Although the second part of this statement is true, I think you're
making some false assumptions in the first part.  As supporting
evidence, you quote:

> [To what extent does the deposited program contain preexisting
> materials?  Your application implies ...] "... that the program
> is entirely new and contains no SUBSTANTIAL (my emphasis) amount of
> material that has been previously registered or published or that
> has become standard usage for certain purposes.  Although some
> programmers create from scratch all parts of their programs, we
> understand that many draw from libraries or previously developed
> programs or routines in creating a new program." [1]

This certainly corresponds to my understanding of the copyright law.
However, if you read it (and the copyright law itself) carefully, it is
clear that this is merely stating the eligibility requirements for
copyrighting a program.  That is, a program must be substantially
original in order to be eligible for copyright, but use of library
routines and similar programs (which may or may not be copyrighted) does
not necessarily detract from that originality.  I think a close reading
of these texts will show that they do not say that it is all right to
use copyrighted subroutines or similar code in a new program without
permission, and that the proper use of such code implies that permission
has been received.

I liked your example of the invalid copyright notice.  The problem, of
course, is that the international copyright symbol is a C with a circle
around it, and the parentheses don't quite qualify.  Adding the word
"Copyright" is sufficient protection under U.S. law.  However, this word
does not satisfy international copyright law, which accepts only the
circle C.  This leads to the interesting situation that there is no way
no put an internationally valid copyright notice into an ASCII source
file.

	Steve Zimmerman
	Masscomp