From: info...@ucbvax.ARPA
Newsgroups: fa.info-vax
Subject: GNU emacs now free of Gosling code
Date: Thu, 25-Jul-85 17:52:13 EDT
Sender: dae...@ucbvax.ARPA

From: Leonard H. Tower Jr. <tower@MIT-PREP.ARPA>

RMS posted this to USENET's net.emacs newsgroup:

   From: Richard M. Stallman <rms@mit-prep>
   Date: Mon, 15 Jul 85 16:38:00 edt

   GNU Emacs 16.56 is a completely Gosling-free version with lots of
   improvements.  It is also smaller than version 15.34.  Some toleration
   of flow control is provided.  It is in /u2/emacs/edist.tar on mit-prep;
   also individual files in /u2/emacs/dist.

   READ THE NEWS FILE before you use it.  Also read INSTALL; the procedures
   have been simplified.

   Tex source for the manual is included.

   diffs from version 15.34 may be made available on prep in a few days;
   but the manual source may make that sort of useless.

   mly will be fixing bugs for the next few weeks while I am away.
   Mail orders for tapes will be covered too.

I am posting this to INFO-VAX, because of the discussions in this
list, regarding the ability to use GNU emacs Version 15 from
legal/moral points-of-views.  I noticed several people steering away
from using GNU emacs because of the murkiness that was being generated
by these discussions.  Everyone can now use it without any such murky
fears, and judge it on its technical merits!

Those interested in gnu-emacs are directed to:
	info-gnu-em...@mit-prep.arpa
	bug-gnu-em...@mit-prep.arpa

Len Tower

Note: I am an active participant in the GNU project, for whatever bias
filters people want to apply ;-} .