From: r...@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU (Richard M. Stallman)
Newsgroups: comp.emacs
Subject: Emacs 18 released
Date: Sun, 22-Mar-87 16:50:43 EST
Sender: dae...@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU

Emacs 18.41 is now released.  It is no longer considered
a beta test version, and the Free Software Foundation will
presently mail out the version 18 tapes that people have ordered.

The GNU Emacs General Public Licensed has been slightly changed
to clarify the fact that distribution fees are allowed and a
few other things.  It is not a substantive change.

There are diffs from 18.40; they are 200k.  I expect that compressed
and split distributions will be made soon by various users.  I urge
you to get 18.41 fresh, not with diffs, because that will eliminate
any remaining mismatches caused by lossage in the diffmaking process.
Such lossage occurred at least once, in the file buffer.c in 18.39 (or
was it 18.40), and it is always possible it happened at other times.

I will be out of town for a month, but MLY will provide some
maintenance for serious lossages.