From: t...@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.)
Newsgroups: gnu.announce
Subject: latest GNUs Bulletin
Date: 11 Feb 89 20:51:36 GMT
Sender: dae...@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

Here is the info-ized version of the latest GNUs Bulletin, which was
distributed at the San Diego Usenix.

If you would like a hardcopy, send a SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped
Envelope) with your request to the FSF address below (including a
small donation to cover copying costs would be appreciated, but is not
required).

Please freely redistribute this text to other forums under the term of
the Copyright Notice below.

enjoy -len

GNU's Bulletin				January, 1989

The GNU's Bulletin is the semi-annual newsletter of the Free Software
Foundation, bringing you news about the GNU Project.

Free Software Foundation, Inc.		Telephone: (617) 876-3296
675 Massachusetts Avenue		Electronic mail: gnu@@prep.ai.mit.edu
Cambridge, MA  02139

Contents
--------

GNU'S Who
What Is the Free Software Foundation?
What Is Copyleft?
GNU in Japan
The General Public License as a Subroutine
GNUsworthy Flashes
GNU Wish List
``My Thoughts on the GNU License'' by Doug Lea
GNU Documentation
GNU Project Status Report
GNU ``Clip Art'' Contest
GNU Software Available Now
How To Get GNU Software
Thank GNUs
GNU Order Form

GNU's Who
*********

Randy Smith has joined us as a full-time programmer.  He is
currently maintaining and extending GDB.  Our summer people, Pete
TerMaat, Phil Nelson, and Mike Haertel, have returned to
school---to study or to teach.  Pete worked on GDB, Phil on the GNU
versions of `cpio' and `dbm', and Mike, who continues to work for us
part time, on `diff', `egrep' and `sort'.

Joe Arceneaux spent a couple of weeks with us this fall making Emacs
version 19 work with X windows version 11.

Nobuyuki and Mieko Hikichi continue with us on loan from
Software Research Associates in Tokyo.  At FSF, Nobu is extending GDB
with a C interpreter that he is writing.  Mieko is helping user-test GNU
documentation and is translating some of it into Japanese.  Diane
Barlow Close, our first full-time technical writer, is writing the
documentation for all of the small Unix utilities that have been
completed for us, while living in San Diego, CA.

Meanwhile, Brian Fox is still working for us at UC Santa Barbara.
He recently completed GNU's version of `sh', the `Bourne Again Shell',
that incorporates features found in the Korn and C shells.  Jay
Fenlason is writing a spreadsheet program for the project and
maintaining the GNU assembler, `tar', and `sed'.

Opus Goldstein is our jack-of-all-trades office staff.  If you call
our office, she is the one who answers.  She fills the orders, and
handles the day-to-day operations of the Foundation.  Robert
Chassell is our Treasurer. Besides dealing with corporate issues not
related to programming, he is working on an elementary introduction to
programming in Emacs Lisp.

Richard Stallman continues to do countless tasks, including refining
the C compiler, GNU Emacs, etc. and their documentation.  Paul Rubin
is writing a graphic editing extension for GNU Emacs.  Finally,
Len Tower continues as our electronic JOAT (jack-of-all-trades),
handling mailing lists, information requests, system mothering et al.

GNU's Bulletin
--------------

Written by: Randy Smith, Paul Rubin, Robert Chassell,
Leonard H. Tower Jr., Richard Stallman and Opus Goldstein

Illustrations: Etienne Suvasa

     Permission is granted to anyone to make or distribute verbatim copies of
     this document as received, in any medium, provided that the copyright
     notice and permission notice are preserved, and that the distributor
     grants the recipient permission for further redistribution as permitted
     by this notice.

What Is the Free Software Foundation?
*************************************

The Free Software Foundation is dedicated to eliminating restrictions on
copying, redistribution, understanding and modification of computer
programs.  We do this by promoting the development and use of free
software in all areas of computer use.  Specifically, we are putting
together a complete integrated software system called "GNU" (GNU's Not
Unix) that will be upward compatible with Unix.  Some large parts of
this system are already working and we are distributing them now.

The word "free" in our name refers to two specific freedoms: first,
the freedom to copy a program and give it away to your friends and
co-workers; second, the freedom to change a program as you wish, by
having full access to source code.  Furthermore, you can study the
source and learn how such programs are written.  You may then be able to
port it, improve it, and share your changes with others.

Other organizations distribute whatever free software happens to be
available.  By contrast, FSF concentrates on development of new free
software, building toward a GNU system complete enough to eliminate the
need to purchase a proprietary system.

Besides developing GNU, the Foundation has secondary functions:
producing tapes and printed manuals of GNU software, carrying out
distribution, and accepting gifts to support GNU development.  We are
tax exempt; you can deduct donations to us on your tax returns.  Our
development effort is funded partly from donations and partly from
distribution fees.  Note that the distribution fees purchase just the
service of distribution: you never have to pay anyone license fees to
use GNU software, and you always have the freedom to make your copy from
a friend's computer at no charge (provided your friend is willing).

The Foundation also maintains a Service Directory: a list of people who
offer service for pay to individual users of GNU programs and systems.
Service can mean answering questions for new users, customizing
programs, porting to new systems, or anything else.  Contact us if you
want to be listed.

After we create our programs, we continually update and improve them.
We release between 2 and 20 updates a year, for various programs.  Doing
this while developing new programs takes a lot of work, so any donations
of pertinent source code and documentation, machines, labor or money are
always appreciated.

What Is Copyleft?
*****************

In the article "What Is the Free Software Foundation," we
state that "you never have to pay anyone license fees to use GNU
software, and you always have the freedom to make your copy from a
friend's computer at no charge."  What exactly do we mean by this,
and how do we make sure that it stays true?

The simplest way to make a program free is to put it in the public domain.
Then people who get it from sharers can share it with others.  But bad
citizens can also do what they like to do: sell binary-only versions under
typical don't-share-with-your-neighbor licenses.  They would thus enjoy the
benefits of the freeness of the original program while withholding these
benefits from the users.  It could easily come about that most users get
the program this way, and our goal of making the program free for
*all* users would have been undermined.

To prevent this from happening, we don't normally place GNU programs in the
public domain.  Instead, we protect them by what we call "copylefts".
A copyleft is a legal instrument that makes everybody free to copy a
program as long as the person getting the copy gets with it the freedom to
distribute further copies, and the freedom to modify their copy (which
means that they must get access to the source code).  Typical software
companies use copyrights to take away these freedoms; now we software
sharers use copylefts to preserve these freedoms.

The copyleft used by the GNU project is made from a combination of a
copyright notice and the "GNU General Public License".  The
copyright notice is the usual kind.  The General Public License is a
copying license which basically says that you have the freedoms we want
you to have and that you can't take these freedoms away from anyone
else.  (The actual document consists of several pages of rather
complicated legalbol that our lawyer said we needed.)  A copy of the
complete license is included in all GNU source code distributions and
many manuals, and we will send you a printed copy on request.

GNU in Japan
************

by Mieko Hikichi

The GNU Project was described in a seminar at the Unix Fair in Tokyo
last December This seminar was the first official introduction of GNU in
Japan.

I had translated the GNU's Bulletin into Japanese and 500 copies were
distributed.  Mr. Yoshitaka Tokugawa talked about what is GNU, how to
get GNU software and about the GNU license.  This was followed by a talk
about the Japanese version of GNU Emacs by Mr. Handa Ken'ichi.

The General Public License as a Subroutine

We are about to make a sweeping, revolutionary change in the General
Public License.  The terms for copying will be essentially unchanged,
but the architecture of the legalbol framework used to embody them will
make a quantum leap.

In the past, each copylefted program had to have its own copy of the
General Public License contained in it.  Often it was necessary to
modify the license to mention the name of the program it applied to.
Other people who wanted to copyleft programs had to modify the text
even more, to replace our name with theirs.

To make it easier to copyleft programs, we have been improving on the
legalbol architecture of the General Public License to produce a new
version that serves as a general-purpose subroutine: it can apply to
any program without modification, no matter who is publishing it.  All
that's needed is a brief notice in the program itself, to say that the
General Public License applies.  Directions on doing this accompany
the General Public License, so you can easily copyleft your programs.

We've also taken the opportunity to make it explicit that any subsequent
changes in future versions the General Public License cannot take away
the rights you were previously given, if you have a program that you
received under an earlier version.

The new version will appear soon; new GNU programs and new versions of
existing GNU software will refer to it to specify their copying
conditions.

GNUsworthy Flashes
******************

   * Donation from Hewlett-Packard

     As part of their program to make their machines more attractive to
     academic users, Hewlett-Packard is giving us $100,000.  This money was
     given to us to make sure that we have funds to rent office space for
     several years.  Of course, if someone were to give us office space, we
     could use the money to hire more people.

     In addition, the company is supporting Michael Tiemann's work at
     Stanford to port G`++' to the Spectrum.

   * New Machines

     Since the last GNUs Bull in June 1988, we have received three new machines
     on loan and three as gifts.  Thinking Machine, Inc. has loaned us a
     Sun 4/110, and Intel has loaned us an Intel 386.  K. Richard Magill has
     given us an AT&T Unix PC and Hewlett-Packard is giving us three
     Spectrums in addition to the funds mentioned above.  This makes for a
     total of 13 machines given or loaned to FSF.

   * Some parts of BSD are becoming free

     After years of urging from us and others, the people who maintain
     Berkeley Unix have decided to release various parts of it (those which
     don't contain AT&T code) separately as free software.  This includes
     substantial programs which we hope to use in GNU, such as TCP/IP support
     and possibly the C-shell.

     The files freed in the 4.3 BSD-Tahoe distribution are now on the beta
     test tape.

     Also, the next release of Berkeley Unix may contain the Make, AWK, and
     `sh' from the GNU Project instead of those from Unix.  The reason is
     that the people at Berkeley would like to have improvements in these
     programs like those in system V.3, but they find the new restrictions on
     V.3 licenses unpalatable.  Both we and they hope they never get a V.3
     license.  We may help them avoid it by providing alternative software.

     GNU Make already supports the system V features, as does GAWK.  Both
     programs are in beta test.

   * The Bison manual is here

     Dick Karpinski of UCSF offered a prize of $1000 for a usable draft of a
     manual for Bison (our species of Yacc).  Chuck Donnelly responded with
     a draft which we have turned into a final version.  Texinfo source comes
     on both the release and beta test tapes.  Hardcopy may be ordered
     directly from the Foundation.

   * Ghostscript status

     Ghostscript, the free Postscript for GNU, is being distributed.  It is
     now in beta test.

   * NeXT, Inc. is using GNU software on their machines

     NeXT has decided to use GNU Emacs, GCC, GAS and GDB as part of their
     standard operating system; they are the first computer manufacturer to
     do so.  Other manufacturers have expressed an interest; we are awaiting
     developments.

   * Distribution of 80386 Floppies on hold

     We are holding investigating distribution of floppies for 80386 machines
     until we have a working library.  Since system V on the 80386 usually
     comes with no library as well as no C compiler, no assembler and no
     linker, we don't think this distribution medium will be worth while
     until we can supply all of them.

     This is being worked on, but it will not be ready very soon.  We will
     announce on the `info-gnu' mailing list and `gnu.announce'
     newsgroup when we have more information.

   * texi2roff

     Beverly Erlebacher of Toronto, Canada wrote `texi2roff'.  This program
     translates GNU Texinfo files into a format that can be printed by the
     Unix `[nt]roff' programs utilizing the `mm', `ms' or `me' macro
     packages.  Though we won't be maintaining this program, we include it on
     our tapes to allow people without TeX to print out our documentation.

GNU Wish List
=============

Wishes for this issue are for:

   * Volunteers to help write utilities and documentation.  One important
     programming project is writing a Fortran compiler front end for GCC;
     documentation particularly needed includes manuals for Ghostscript and
     FLEX.

   * FSF is looking to hire additional full-time people to work on Project
     GNU both as programmers and as technical writers.  We are looking for a
     few good entities (male or female, carbon or silicon based) to work for
     an activist wage.  You must either be in Cambridge, Mass or be able to
     maintain good electronic communication with us.  Contact
     `...@wheaties.ai.mit.edu' or send mail to Richard Stallman c/o the
     Free Software Foundation if you are interested.

   * Office space (lent or donated) in or around Kendall Square.

   * Professors who might be interested in sponsoring research assistantships
     with full or partial FSF support to do GNU development, or hosting FSF
     employees.

   * Money, as always.  Please remember, donations are tax-deductible.  With
     the latest donations, we have been able to expand our staff.

     One way to give us a small amount of money is to order a distribution
     tape or two.  This may not count as a donation for tax purposes, but for
     many people it can qualify as a business expense.

   * Someone skilled in compiler maintenance who could take over GCC
     maintenance for RMS.  This would probably be be a full-time job.

   * Interesting, fun GNU graphics.  Ghostscript source or otherwise.
     See `GNU "Clip Art" Contest' later in this issue for more
     details.

   * Copies of newspaper and journal articles mentioning the GNU Project.
     Send these to the addresses on the front cover.

My Thoughts on the GNU License
opinions of the Free Software Foundation.--- Editor]*

I have not participated publicly in the recent discussions about the
legal ramifications of the GNU License Agreement until now because (1) I
am not a lawyer and (2) I find myself in agreement with Stallman's
decision to proceed very carefully in deciding whether and how to modify
the Agreement to accommodate people who would like to sell works that
may or may not be considered as `derived' from GNU software, depending
on what `derived' is defined to mean.

However, the recent proposal by Gilmore and others appears to demand a
personal response from me (not RMS or FSF) as the author of most of GNU
`libg`++''.  I would like to briefly outline why I support FSF
goals, and specifically, the Agreement, in a way that bears only
indirectly on legal principles.

I am, primarily, a teacher in a liberal arts college.  As such, I stand
for the `free' dissemination of ideas.  Historically, (please forgive
any botching of historical facts to suit my needs, but that's what
history is for!) the main tool by which intellectual property has been
allowed to be widely disseminated (read `taught') while at the same time
both crediting originators, and protecting the works from corruption,
mis--attribution, and so on, has been the notion of Copyright.  For
these reasons, the introduction of copyright laws is widely considered
to have been an important step in accelerating intellectual and
scientific progress.

Sadly, in the science of computing, this solution has not stood up
well.  While, in many disciplines, the price of a copyrighted work to
be used for study is well within the reach of those who could best
benefit from it (e.g., a copy of "War and Peace" might be $5, or
even $50, but not $50,000), the economics of computing have, for the
most part, priced copyrighted software out of the reach of students
(and most others).  Most readers would agree that the study of
high-quality existing programs is among the better methods for
learning about the art of programming.   These days, one cannot
legally show, discuss, and teach from, say, Unix or Lotus source code.

I believe that Stallman's notion that the economics of copyright can be
separated from its role in the protection and propagation of
intellectual property is as good a solution to this dilemma as we are
likely to get.  There are many of us, especially those of us in academe,
who are actually very pleased to devote some time and effort to writing
software without any direct monetyary compensation.  For all sorts of
reasons.  (For example, in my case, with `libg`++'', as a means to
further investigate the pragmatics of object-oriented programming and so
on.  Or maybe it's just incorrigible hacking.  Whatever. )

Now I, and many others, I suspect, are not terribly worried about
maintaining proper authorship credit, etc., of such work.  The reason
that the GNU License Agreement is attractive is mainly that it keeps
accessible the work that I intended to be accessible, but also
generally offers all other benefits that Copyright engenders, but
that the mere act of placing work in the `public domain' would not.

It is an unfortunate fact that the GNU Agreement currently stands in
the way of such work being used in honest ways by honest programmers
who do have to worry about the economic ramifications.   I personally
hope that exactly the right accommodations are made to allow fair and
sensible use while maintaining the ideals that make the GNU solution
work.  There are many sticky legalistic points involved in doing so.  I
do hope that Stallman is able to find such a solution soon enough to
make alternative approaches less attractive, but not so hastily as to
compromise the goals of FSF (which I am sure he will not do).

GNU Documentation
*****************

Software distributed as part of the GNU system always comes with sources
for both on-line documentation and printable manuals.  On-line
documentation is provided because printed documentation is often
misplaced or is being read by someone else when you want it; and
because, in many situations, it is easier to find the piece of
information that you need in an interactive on-line help system.  At the
same time, printed documentation is provided because it is often easier
to read or preferred.

When GNU documentation is printed, it is produced as a typeset book with
chapters, indices, cross references and the like.  The on-line
documentation is a menu-driven system which also uses indices and cross