From: j...@kaos.Stanford.EDU (Jim Helman)
Newsgroups: gnu.gcc
Subject: HELP me not buy a MAC II
Date: 12 Jun 89 23:35:23 GMT
Sender: n...@helens.STANFORD.EDU

Apologies.  This is a followup to the discussion that belongs
elsewhere.

Our group is currently looking at buying some Mac II's.  Their
function would be to prepare figures and presentation slides using
MacDraft or PowerPoint.  They would replace our aging collection of
512K Macs.

We have a number of Unix workstations (Sun, Dec, and Silicon
Graphics).  A priori, I prefer Unix workstations to Macs.  I can make
a good case for buying more Unix boxes rather than Macs, but only if
there is a WYSIWYG drawing tool (X or Suntools based, preferably free
software) that can be used for generating high quality graphics and
presentation slides with the same ease as the aforementioned Mac based
tools.

I already know of:
				problems

	xfig version 1.4.3:	slow
				not as easy to use
				not as powerful

	idraw InterViews 2.4:	best free X drawing program I've seen
				good interface and flexible
				but still not quite as good as MacDraft

If you guys really want people not to buy Mac's, you have to provide a
simple, non-political reason: that you have to have something better
to offer.

Please reply to me directly.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			P.O. Box 10494
Stanford University				Stanford, CA 94309
(j...@thrush.stanford.edu) 			(415) 723-4940