From: tchr...@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen)
Newsgroups: alt.sources.d
Subject: Re: uutraffic report (in perl)
Date: 21 Nov 89 04:28:30 GMT
Sender: n...@convex.UUCP

In article <1...@radius.UUCP> radius!le...@apple.com (Generic Account) writes:
>In article <4...@mhres.mh.nl> j...@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
>}This is where perl is designed for ...
>
>OK, but what about those of us who don't have perl?  Is there already such
>a script or program in plain old "c" that can make the same pretty reports
>as shown above?  We're running a NeXT with version 1.0 OS...
>===== Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose =====

Please don't take this wrong, but why DON'T you have perl?  If you can
post this note, you can get perl.  It's freely available from FTP and
plain old uumail-type archive servers all over the net.  Its author,
Larry Wall, is the same man who brought you rn, metaconfig, and patch.
He privately supports perl better than any industrial software house
that I've ever seen.  He's extremely helpful in getting perl running on
new machines, and I'll bet it's already been tweaked for your
architecture.  If you've ever run one of Larry's Configure scripts, you
know what I mean.

Perl is light years ahead of awk, sed, and sh as far as tools go.  I
very strongly believe that it will be around for many years to come,
and that it will be extremely widely used throughout the world.  You
can see how much source has come across the net just lately that's been
written in perl.  I have not written any awk or sed scripts since I got
perl, and certainly none of those horrendous sh scripts full of
multiple calls to sed and awk and tr and sort and cut and paste and
expand and grep and all their brethren.  I've saved myself quite a
bit of development time by writing fewer C programs as well.

Furthermore, perl programs are portable without modification or
recompilation to a wealth of architectures.  I only have around 5
architectures now to send common programs too, but in my last job there
were no fewer than a dozen.  It's really nice to just close your eyes
and rdist your program and know it will run.

Do yourself a favor: get perl.

--tom

    Tom Christiansen                       {uunet,uiucdcs,sun}!convex!tchrist
    Convex Computer Corporation                            tchr...@convex.COM
		 "EMACS belongs in <sys/errno.h>: Editor too big!"

>Please don't take this wrong, but why DON'T you have perl?  If you can
>post this note, you can get perl.  It's freely available from FTP and
>plain old uumail-type archive servers all over the net.  Its author,
>Larry Wall, is the same man who brought you rn, metaconfig, and patch.
>He privately supports perl better than any industrial software house
>that I've ever seen.  He's extremely helpful in getting perl running on
>new machines, and I'll bet it's already been tweaked for your
>architecture.  If you've ever run one of Larry's Configure scripts, you
>know what I mean.

Perl won't run on my 286-powered system. Larry's comment about "perl
probably won't run on 16-bit systems" is dead on.

I'm watching the world do great things in perl, and I'm jealous, knowing
that Larry has succumbed to the Richard Stallman Syndrome: "That's not a
real computer, and I won't program to it." Richard is as blatant about
it as he is about the GNU Manifesto's real objectives. I don't really
think Larry has it in for 16-bit machines, but then again, perl could
have been written to avoid the more obvious limitations...as it is now,
perl crashes and burns spectacularly.

Just as net policy should not be made on the assumption that everyone
has rn (because it's not standard), programming should not be done on
the assumption that everyone has perl.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
j...@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

Jay> I'm watching the world do great things in perl, and I'm jealous, knowing
Jay> that Larry has succumbed to the Richard Stallman Syndrome: "That's not a
Jay> real computer, and I won't program to it."  Richard is as blatant about
Jay> it as he is about the GNU Manifesto's real objectives.  I don't really
Jay> think Larry has it in for 16-bit machines, but then again, perl could
Jay> have been written to avoid the more obvious limitations...as it is now,
Jay> perl crashes and burns spectacularly.

This is actually pretty amusing.  Now it's a pathological disorder to
write good software that runs on a variety of machines, but not all of
them.  Now you might believe that Richard needs treatment for other
things, but I don't think this is one of them.

[Obligatory religious cut: You'd have to ship a few MTS/Plus
programmers that way first.]

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("t...@pawl.rpi.edu" "t...@ai.mit.edu" "t...@rpitsmts.bitnet"))