From: g...@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.computers
Subject: GNU Public License restrictions and GNU utilities
Date: 2 Dec 89 22:31:14 GMT
Sender: n...@hudson.acc.virginia.edu

Recently, there seems to have been some confusion about how software
authors might accidentally put their software under the GNU Public
License terms from using GNU utilities. Although I am not a lawyer,
and so you should ignore everything I say on any legal topic, here's
what the document says in plain english.

(For the paranoia, see <0PAHP:@splut.conmicro.com> and
 <4...@sugar.hackercorp.com> )

In order for you to come under the terms of the license, you must
use SOURCE CODE from GNU. If you use the GNU tool as a translator,
you're ok.

You type your code in GNU emacs -- not covered, unless you explicitly
stick GNU code in.

You use GNU fgrep to search through your file -- not covered.

You use GCC to *translate* your program into an ojbect file -- not
covered, since you are using GCC as a translator.

You use GCC to *translate* your program, and then *LINK* with a GNU
library AND distribute the binary executable -- COVERED, since you are
linking your code with GNU source code. However, you must ALWAYS check
this situation out with any compiler. Ever run strings on a binary
from C and noticed all the Sun copyright notices? It's legal to sell a
binary from the Sun C compiler/linker only because Sun grants you that
right. It's not automatic.

So if you want to distribute a C binary you've compiled with GCC, you
must either:

1) Link the program with a vendor-supplied library, and understand
   the restrictions which go with this vendor-supplied library (some
   vendors require a license fee.)
2) Link the program with a public-domain library, of which there is
   at least one complete libc under development.
3) Distribute object code and have the end-user link the product with
   whatever he wants, GNU or otherwise. As long as the end-user doesn't
   further distrubute the binary containing translated GNU and non-GNU
   source, it's not covered.

Note that using gcc requires no more care than you have to go through with
any commercial compiler -- you must always check the copyright status of
the libraries.

Back to our examples:

You run a YACC input file though GNU Bison, combine the machine translated
result with a GNU Bison skeleton, which is GNU-copyright source, and then
link that. You ARE covered by the GNU License because that skeleton isn't
generated from your input, it's the same everywhere. If you want to sell the
result, write your own skeleton.

Once again, using the GNU tool requires no more care than using anyone
else's tool -- you always have to check that copyright on the skeleton.
AT&T happens to have abandoned copyright (I think) on theirs. However,
you'd best consult your lawyer.

So, tell me how anyone could accidentally put their code under GNU Public
License restrictions in any way that they wouldn't put their code under
AT&T or Sun or someone else's copyright restrictions?

------
Greg Lindahl