From: rms@AI.MIT.EDU
Newsgroups: gnu.gcc
Subject: Protect your freedom to use standard interfaces
Date: 18 Feb 90 01:08:01 GMT
Sender: daemon@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

Apple is doing its best to set up a system in which future GNU
software efforts will be illegal.  The people who ignore our boycott
appear to want GNU software so much *right now* that they are willing
to cut off their future supply.

I often wonder about this irrationality.  Fighting off an aggressor
takes sacrifices, but it isn't as bad as letting the aggressor win--in
the long run.  These people aren't considering the long run.  Why is
that?

Are they oblivious?  Cowardly?  Terminally ill?  Are they so desperate
that they don't care about the future?

I'm glad most of you are not like that.  If you would like to help
stop Apple/Lotus/Xerox/Ashton-Tate from dictating what kinds of
programs you are allowed to write, and you are willing to put in a few
minutes effort while the issue remains open, you can join the League
for Programming Freedom, the political organization for fighting
look-and-feel lawsuits.  (The League is not connected with the Free
Software Foundation and is not concerned with issues of free
software.)

	       Fight "Look and Feel" Lawsuits
	   Join the League for Programming Freedom

The League for Programming Freedom is an organization of people who
oppose the attempt to monopolize common user interfaces through "look
and feel" copyright lawsuits.  Some of us are programmers, who worry
that such monopolies will obstruct our work.  Some of us are users,
who want new computer systems to be compatible with the interfaces we
know.

"Look and feel" lawsuits aim to create a new class of
government-enforced monopolies broader in scope than ever before.
Such a system of user-interface copyright would impose gratuitous
incompatibility, reduce competition, and stifle innovation.

We in the League hope to prevent these problems by preventing
user-interface copyright.  The League is not opposed to copyright
law as it was understood until 1986--copyright on particular
programs.  Our aim is to stop changes in the copyright system which
would take away programmers' traditional freedom to write new
programs compatible with existing programs and practices.

The League for Programming Freedom will act against the doctrine
behind look-and-feel suits by any means consistent with the law and
intellectual liberty.  We will write editorials, talk with public
officials, file amicus curiae briefs with the courts, and boycott
egregious offenders.  On May 24th, 1989, we picketed Lotus
headquarters on account of their lawsuits against competitors,
stimulating widespread media coverage for the issue.  If you have
other ideas, please suggest them.

In the future, the League may also fight other restrictive practices,
such as software patents, which threaten to make every design decision
in software development a chance for a lawsuit.  The League's founders
consider software patents potentially even more dangerous than
look-and-feel copyright, but it will be up to the members to decide
whether the League should campaign against them.

Membership dues in the League are $42 per year for programmers,
managers and professionals; $10.50 for students; $21 for others.
Please give more if you can.  The League's funds will be used for
filing briefs; for printing handouts, buttons and signs; whatever will
influence the courts, the legislators, and the people.  You won't get
anything personally for your dues--except for the freedom to write
programs.  The League is a non-profit corporation, but because it is a
lobbying organization, your contributions may not be tax-deductible.

We also accept corporate (nonvoting) members; please phone or write
for more information.

The League needs both activist members and members who only pay their
dues.

If you have any questions, please write to the League or phone
(617) 492-0023.

		       Richard Stallman, President
		       Chris Hofstader, Secretary
		       Denis Filipetti, Treasurer
 To join, please send a check and the following information to:

    League for Programming Freedom
    1 Kendall Square #143
    P.O.Box 9171
    Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139

(If you are at MIT, you can send or bring them to Richard Stallman
in NE43-430, if that is easier for you.)

Your name:

Your address, where we should write to you for elections and such:

The company you work for, and your position:

Your phone number and email address, so we can contact you for
demonstrations or for writing letters to Congress.  (If you don't want
us to contact you for these things, please say so; your support as a
member is helpful nonetheless.)

Is there anything about you which would enable your endorsement of the
LPF to impress the public?  For example, if you are or have been a
professor or an executive, or have written software that has a good
reputation, please tell us.

Would you like to help with LPF activities?

The corporate charter of the League for Programming Freedom states:

    The purposes of the League shall be the furtherance of charitable,
    educational and scientific purposes which qualify as exempt ...,
    and to engage in activities to:

    1. To determine the existence of, and warn the public about,
    restrictions and monopolies on classes of computer programs where such
    monopolies prevent or restrict the right to develop certain kinds of
    computer programs.

    2. To develop countermeasures and initiatives, in the public interest,
    effective to block or otherwise prevent or restrain such monopolistic
    activities including education, research, publications, public
    assembly, legislative testimony, and intervention in court proceedings
    involving public interest issues (as a friend of the court).

    3. To engage in any business or other activity in service of and
    related to the foregoing paragraphs that lawfully may be carried on...

The officers and directors of the League will be elected annually by
the members.