From: talv...@JANUS.BERKELEY.EDU (Erik Talvola)
Newsgroups: gnu.gcc
Subject: Letter about GCC in SunExpert
Date: 2 Oct 90 18:57:13 GMT
Sender: dae...@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

Here is a letter to the editor which appeared in the September 1990
(Vol. 1 Num. 11) issue of SunExpert which discusses the GNU C compiler.
It would be interesting if maybe the Free Software Foundation would like
to send a rebuttal letter in.  The address for SunExpert is:

1330 Beacon Street
Brookline, MA  02146

Email: dpr...@expert.com

-----------

Dear Editor:

  Thank you for raising the issue of the unbundling of the Sun C compiler
(SunExpert, June, p. 8).  We understand the importance of this issue to the
developer community and we realize that this is a departure from the
traditional bundled UNIX philosophy.  And yes, the times they may be a-
changing.  A couple of years ago, you could pretty much guarantee that every
Sun workstation sold was going to be a developer tool.  However with the
current hardware releases, such as the SLC, many workstations are being sold
that won't be used for software development.  This evolution of the hardware
line allows for a change in the software line.  We have chosen to unbundle
the C compiler to allow us to invest more resources into this important
developer tool that might not be needed by all of our current, or future,
customers.

  It sounds like you agree that the unbundling of the compiler makes sense
from a value-added point of view.  The majority of code developed on Sun
workstations is written in C andn the compiler is one of the essential links
in producing top-quality code.  By unbundling the compiler we can offer the
developer more frequent updates, substantial improvement to the code
generator, and most importantly, increased responsiveness to customer
requested enhancements.

  The unbundling of the C compiler is a recognition by Sun of the importance
of the developer community and an attempt to provide the best tool possible,
although that may mean charging for it.  You mentioned the list price of
$2,000, however we ran a special promotion from May through September during
which the compiler was $500.  In addition, volume pricing and educational
discounts can significantly reduce this list price.  This price also reflects
the inclusion of the Source Browser development tool which is only offered
with the unbundled compiler.  In the future we would like to include
additional tools with the compiler product.

  You also raise the question of customers drifting to other compilers.
Specifically you mentioned Saber-C and GNU C.  Since these are interesting
examples, I will address both.

  Saber-C is not an alternative to the Sun C compiler, rather it is a
compliment.  Saber-C contains an integrated C interpreter which is essential
to their debugging environment but does not replace a high quality compiler
such as Sun C.  In fact, by the time you read this, Saber and Sun will have
announced a copromotion of Saber-C 3.0 and Sun C.  We encourage the use of
Saber-C to those developers that need its functionality and we look forward
to the continued support of Saber-C.  However, GNU C is a true competitor to
Sun C.  It has a number of strong features including fast compilation, a
SPARC back-end, and a rock-bottom price.  However, Sun C offers four
distinct advantages over GNU C:

  1) More optimizations.  Sun C performs 21 global and local optimizations
compared to 11 for GNU C.  Sun C does all optimizations that GNU C does plus
important techniques such as loop unrolling, alias optimization, and
instruction scheduling.  This letter is not the forum for benchmarks, but I
would be happy to supply your readers with benchmarks from Sun and from our
customers who are developing real systems.

  2) Better SPARC code generation.  Our team of code generation engineers
work closely with our hardware designers to improve and fine-tune the SPARC-
targeted code.  This allows us to release compilers tailored for hardware
enhancements at the time of the hardware release.  This provide a competitive
edge over developers using other compilers.

  3) Legal issues.  In the June 1990 issue of the GNU Bulletin, Richard
Stallman discusses the fact that the GNU General Public License states that
if a developer links GNU libraries with their source code they are then
legally required to distribute all source code with their applications.
This puts a dent into proprietary software development.  Sun C has no such
restriction.

  4) Support.  GNU is a completely unsupported product.  GNU used to release
the compiler on a tape labeled "Beta Test" and have recently upgraded to the
"Pre-Release" label.  On the other hand, Sun C is a supported product that
includes a full suite of hardcopy documentation and a hotline number for
telephone support, as well as an upgrade and patch release program.
Software development is hard enough as it is without having to figure out
for yourself if the bug is in the code or the compiler.

  In conclusion, there is a Zen saying, "When patterns are broken, new
worlds can emerge."  With the evolution of our hardware and software lines,
and the commitment to provide the best tools possible, I think that the Sun
community will continue to grow and prosper.

David Reim
C Compiler Product Manager
Sun Microsystems Inc.