From: tower@AI.MIT.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.)
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.announce,comp.emacs
Subject: [jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com: AT&T Claims patent on part of MIT's X11 server.]
Date: 22 Feb 91 05:10:09 GMT
Sender: daemon@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

  [ 1)	Please repost this in any other lists, local or netwide, where
	it would be relevant and helpful.

    2)	I wonder what prior art existed, and if it invalidates
	AT&T's patent.

	-len
  ]

To: unido!gnu-announce
From: jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Newsgroups: gnu.announce
Subject: AT&T Claims patent on part of MIT's X11 server.
Date: 20 Feb 91 14:38:26 GMT

I thought that this would be of general interest, to say the least..

The following letter has been sent by AT&T to all (to my knowledge)
MIT X Consortium members, though its claims potentially affect *all*
users of The X Window System, version 11 / revision 3 and above.

To quote the letter directly (all misreferences to "X Windows"
intentionally left in):

				< Dated February 7, 1991 >

Dear <unfortunate X user>:

  AT&T is aware that your company/institution is an active
participant in the further development of the X Windows
System.  We assume that your company/institution is, or may
well be, commercially marketing or internally developing
products(s) which are based on an X Windows System
implementation.

  Consequently, we bring to your attention an AT&T patent
#4,555,775 invented by Robert C. Pike and issued on November
26, 1985.  The "backing store" functionality available in the
X Windows System is an implementation of this patented
invention, therefore, your company/institution needs a license
from AT&T for the use of this patent.

  We will be pleased to discuss licensing arrangements with
the appropriate organization in your company/institution.  To
expedite these arrangements, your response should be directed

Ms. O. T. Franz at:

		AT&T
		10 Independence Boulevard
		Room: LL2-3A28
		Warren, New Jersey  07059-6799
		Telephone: 908-580-5929
		FAX: 908-580-6355

  We look forward to resolving this matter in the near
future.

				Very truly yours,

				<signature>

				A.E. Herron
				Manager, Intellectual Property

Copy to:
L. Bearson
O.T. Franz
R.E. Kerwin

----

So. What more can I say? You are, of course, free to direct your

One also wonders about other window systems using "backing store"
and the degree to which this patent will be enforced.

						Jordan
--
			PCS Computer Systeme GmbH, Munich, West Germany
	UUCP:		pyramid!pcsbst!jkh jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com