From: epp...@osnome.che.wisc.edu (Tom Epperly)
Newsgroups: gnu.gcc.help
Subject: How does gcc compare?
Date: 2 May 91 17:15:16 GMT

How does gcc compare to the DECstation 3100 Ultrix 4.1 C compiler?
How does it compare to other compilers on other machines?
				Tom

From: epp...@osnome.che.wisc.edu (Tom Epperly)
Newsgroups: gnu.gcc.help
Subject: Re: How does gcc compare?
Date: 2 May 91 18:54:59 GMT

Perhaps, I should ask some more specific questions.  All of the
following questions are in reference to a DECstation 3100 running
Ultrix 4.1.

	1) Should I use gcc or cc to compile X11R4?
	2) Can cc include libraries compiled with gcc(eg. -lX11 when
	   X11 is compiled with gcc)?
	3) Should I use gcc or cc to compile GNU Emacs?
	4) Should I use gcc or cc to compile TeX?

				Tom Epperly
				epp...@osnome.che.wisc.edu

--
cc

--
yes

TE> 	3) Should I use gcc or cc to compile GNU Emacs?
--
either. I have more luck with gcc, because the optimization isn't as broken
as MIPS CC.

TE> 	4) Should I use gcc or cc to compile TeX?
--
Again, I used gcc because optimization works.

gcc 1.39 is about 10% slower than 'cc' at corresponding optimization
levels.

Tests with alpha releases of 2.0 (with a very preliminary mips port)
show that it produces as efficient code as the MIPS compiler, unless
you use -O4 on the MIPS compiler (which isn't documented on my Ultrix
machine anyway).  I expect this will improve as people refine the mips
port.

>TE> 	3) Should I use gcc or cc to compile GNU Emacs?
>--
>either. I have more luck with gcc, because the optimization isn't as broken
>as MIPS CC.
>
>gcc 1.39 is about 10% slower than 'cc' at corresponding optimization
>levels.
>
>Tests with alpha releases of 2.0 (with a very preliminary mips port)
>show that it produces as efficient code as the MIPS compiler, unless
>you use -O4 on the MIPS compiler (which isn't documented on my Ultrix
>machine anyway).  I expect this will improve as people refine the mips
>port.

It isn't clear from the response whether Dirk is using a MIPS machine
or a DECSTATION.  It is my understanding that DEC wrote their own C
compiler for the DECSTATION; they don't use the MIPS C compiler.  Also,
everything I have heard/seen indicates that the MIPS compiler is one
of the best ones out there.  While the GNU compilers beat most vendor
supplied compilers in terms of code efficiency I would be very surprised
if they beat MIPS.  Can anyone clarify this?