From: po...@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar)
Newsgroups: comp.org.fidonet
Subject: FidoNET Newsletter, Volume 8, # 23
Date: 10 Jun 91 01:46:33 GMT

F I D O  N E W S --         |        Vol. 8 No. 23 (10 June 1991)
  The newsletter of the     |
  FidoNet BBS community     |        Published by:
          _                 |
         /  \               |       "FidoNews" BBS
        /|oo \              |          (415)-863-2739
       (_|  /_)             |          FidoNet 1:1/1
        _`@/_ \    _        |          Internet:
       |     | \   \\       |           fido...@fidonews.fidonet.org
       | (*) |  \   ))      |
       |__U__| /  \//       |        Editors:
        _//|| _\   /        |          Tom Jennings
       (_/(_|(____/         |          Tim Pozar
             (jm)           |
----------------------------+---------------------------------------
Published weekly by and for the Members of the FidoNet international
amateur network. Copyright 1991, Fido Software. All rights reserved.
Duplication and/or distribution permitted for noncommercial purposes
only. For use in other circumstances, please contact FidoNews.

Paper price:   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $5.00US
Electronic Price:  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  free!

For more information about FidoNews refer to the end of this file.

                          Table of Contents
1. EDITORIAL  .....................................................  1
2. ARTICLES  ......................................................  3
   Forbidden Fruit: Real privacy for electronic communications  ...  3
   A start towards reasonable privacy in FidoNet mail and echom  ..  6
   Practical privacy -- Public Key encryption  ....................  9
   Do we maybe need a "bill of rights"  ........................... 14
   CHILD ABUSE Echo  .............................................. 16
   Talk Me Through It, Honey  ..................................... 17
   Policies. Who Needs Them?  ..................................... 17
   The SKEPTIC Echo Conference  ................................... 18
   WorldPol 2 : Give it Up!  ...................................... 19
   A Word from the Bible - Real Christians speak in tongues  ...... 20
3. CLASSIFIEDS  ................................................... 23
4. NOTICES  ....................................................... 24
   The Interrupt Stack  ........................................... 24
   Exclude. *.MSG - type Killer Dog Utility  ...................... 25
5. LATEST VERSIONS  ............................................... 28
   Latest Software Versions  ...................................... 28
FidoNews 8-23                  Page 1                      10 Jun 1991

                              EDITORIAL

EDITORIAL
by Tom Jennings

There's enough of my blather in this issue. This is not what I
intended when I became editor. It will not become the norm in the
future.

                        * * * * *

When putting together the articles on the PGP encryption system (else-
where in this issue) I was given a length file which I excerpted, and
a very interesting paper on the closely related issue of privacy
and encryption on amateur radio. I hate to see these kind of things
go to waste. I assume this may happen again in the future.

So I've just started what I hope becomes a tradition -- a parallel,
associated file called NOTEvnn.LZH, which contains the full texts
of source files, unedited and unformatted. (vnn is the same
volume/number format as FidoNews.) Text format (plain ASCII, tabs, CRs
etc) not guarenteed. There may not be a corresponding NOTEvnn.LZH file
for every FidoNews. If there is, the appropriate article(s) will
indicate it.

It would be great if readers could take these things and persue them
further.

                        * * * * *

If you publish an electronic newsletter or some such, and are worried
about ending up like PHRACK, where it was claimed that electronic
publications do not have First Amendment protections, there's an easy
short-term solution: turn it into a print publication, that just
happens to have an electronic version. I have done this to FidoNews --
for $10 per copy you can have FidoNews delivered by the U.S. Postal
Service. The electronic version is (and will always be) completely
free of charge. Any money received will go towards phone bills here,
and if by some miracle it exceeds my bill, all above that will go to
the Electronic Frontier Foundation as a general donation from "The
FidoNet".

Speaking of which, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) now has
501(c)3 status, ie. is now tax deductable. EFF Inc, 112 Second St,
Cambridge MA 02142. voice (617)\dash 864\dash 0665, or
e...@well.sf.ca.us If you contact EFF, please tell them you read it in
FidoNews. Anyone interested in receiving the EFF-TALK echo (gated
to/from it's corresponding usenet newsgroup) please contact me at
1:125/111 and I'll toss it your way ...

FidoNews 8-23                  Page 2                      10 Jun 1991

FidoNews 8-23                  Page 3                      10 Jun 1991

                               ARTICLES

Forbidden Fruit: Real privacy for electronic communications
by Tom Jennings

See also: NOTE823

This is not a well-researched piece, I simply haven't had the time.
It's 4:00pm on FidoNews publication day. I had planned on starting a
few new "departments" for FidoNews (such as reviews of other
publications) but this all happened in the last few days. I hope that
it gives enough information to at least ask more questions.

                        * * * * *

This has been an exciting weekend. I got a job -- the first "real" job
I've had since 1986. With Cygnus Support, moving GNU stuff to the IBM
feces world. But not too real, I mean, the job interview was kinda
fun, with cool people, and I got to bring all of the stuff I do,
HOMOCORE `zine, propane car book, and not have to lie or leave out
stuff. Not bad! More on this later.

The other thing is the release of "PGP", or "Pretty Good Privacy", by
Phil Zimmermann (two n's). A complete RSA public-key encryption /
decryption software system. This implementation is legal, with
restrictions. But some of the powers-that-be are gonna raise a stink,
legally or not. Get it while you can!

Encryption? Why would we need something so extreme? The issue is
liberty -- privacy and the right to conduct your affairs as you see
fit. Is having your mail remain unopened so extreme?

I've said it before, between these very pages (sic) -- the government
doesn't grant you rights. It recognizes that we have "certain
inalienable rights" , ie. rights exist, and that it should not be
allowed to take away. *That is what the U.S. Bill of Rights -- the
first 10 Amendments are* -- limits on the power of government, not a
laundry list of rights "granted" to you. However, bureaucrats, well
meaning or not, seem to forget this in desire to make their ponderous
wheels turn more efficiently -- frequently at the expense of our
freedoms.

Privacy is just that -- private. Certain forces in the universe don't
believe you have a right to keep your affairs private, and have been
at work to stifle, not always legally, tools and systems that would
give us privacy in our communications.

You have probably heard by now of "Operation Sundevil", the Steve
Jackson Games illegal busts by the Secret Service (lawsuit against the
SS/FBI now in place), the Craig Neidorf "911" fiasco (turned out to be
a $14 brochure), and other similar events. And the Electronic Frontier
Foundation's work at preserving our liberties and defending some of
the people under attack. If not, SHAME ON YOU! it has a direct -- yeah
you -- affect on your right and maybe soon ability to communicate
FidoNews 8-23                  Page 4                      10 Jun 1991

electronically. I was planning on decent mention of the EFF and other
groups this week, but this PGP thing took precedence.

You preserve liberties by using them. The price of freedom is eternal
vigilance. Etc.

                        * * * * *

Sen. Biden and his cohorts have recently proposed the following in the
U.S. Congress:

    'It is the sense of Congress that providers of
    electronic communications services and
    manufacturers of electronic communications service
    equipment shall insure that communications systems
    permit the Government to obtain the plain text contents
    of voice, data, and other communications when appro-
    priately authorized by law.'

At least they're going through legal channels this time. (No remarks
needed re: 'the sense of Congress'.)

There is a long and unpleasant history of suppression of privacy (and
other) technology. There are export controls on some encryption tools,
the end result of which you'll as the "US. Version only" markings on
PC-TOOLS and NORTON. (You should read the SNAKE OIL section in the PGP
documentation on this sort of "encryption" -- but I'm getting ahead of
myself.) I do not know the history or any details on these export
controls (...and no time to look them up. Well, readers?) Computer
manufacturers attempting to put encryption/privacy hardware in their
machines were told they would not get export licenses for those
machines, effectively quashing that technology.

                        * * * * *

The following is one example of an extra-legal attempt at directing or
controlling access to technologies. Nothing illegal was being done, so
they had to resort to other methods. Ralph Merkle,
mathematician/programmer at Xerox, was about to publish a paper titled
"A Software Encryption Function", a way to effeciently implement
encryption/privacy without special hardware. (The complete paper and
reply message is Wazoo filerequestable from 1:1/1 as filename
"NOTE823.LZH".)

The NSA (National Security Agency) put pressure on Xerox to suppress
the paper. Xerox, with contracts ($$$) to lose, complied. Merkle,
frustrated, didn't get to publish his paper.

John Gilmore, incensed, did. Here's a page from his story:

FidoNews 8-23                  Page 5                      10 Jun 1991