From: r...@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Richard Stallman)
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help,comp.emacs
Subject: Books we can't redistribute
Date: 14 Nov 91 18:32:37 GMT
Sender: dae...@cis.ohio-state.edu

    I discovered a book at Walden Software, Westlake Mall, downtown
    Seattle, WA, just this week:

I know you were trying to be helpful, but this isn't the right way
to do it--not on the help-gnu-emacs mailing list (aka gnu.emacs.help).

The idea of the GNU project is to create a system that users are free
to share.  So far the documentation is not keeping up with the
software.  We need more people to write books and let GNU users
redistribute and change them (as we have done with the GNU manuals we
have).

People who write more documentation and then won't share it have
refused to contribute to the GNU project when they had the chance.
They have also set a bad example for other people who might write
useful manuals in the future.  People who have been uncooperative
in this way don't deserve free advertising.  But that is what they
get if you tell people where to order the book.

So please don't use the FSF lists/newsgroups to post information of
this sort.