From: lie...@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Ed Lieser)
Newsgroups: sci.crypt
Subject: Pretty Good (tm) Privacy
Date: 16 Jan 92 17:24:12 EST

In Mondo 2000 magazine, issue #5:

    What if you saw Congress trying to pass some invasive,
    repressive laws?  And what if, single handedly, you could
    nullify these laws, forever?  Would you do it?
    Senate bills S266 and S618 posed just those questions to
    Philip Zimmerman, a Boulder software engineer. ... [The
    bills] both have language, however, requiring government-
    accessible "back doors" in all encryption software produced
    or sold in the United States. ...  Philip Zimmerman took
    direct action.  Taking several months off from his regular
    paying customers, he wrote the *definitive encryption program
    for the masses*.
    PGP -- Pretty Good Privacy -- it's called.  It's a textbook
    example of guerrilla activism based on the Rivest-Shamir-Adelman
    public-key cryptosystem....

The article mentions that he will possibly be sued by the company
controlling licensing of the RSA algorithm, but that the software
is available free via anonymous FTP and on bulletin boards.

I hadn't heard of this program before this.  Is it widely known?

Ed