From: iii...@PYR.SWAN.AC.UK (Alan Cox)
Newsgroups: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Photo-CD
Date: 1 Sep 92 09:17:47 GMT
Sender: use...@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Once more I'm glad I live in europe. At least here they _can't_ stop me
disassembling their code and writing compatibility for it into programs

There is a definite case for having a free image format on CD, to that
kind of standard, maybe not so efficient or clever as photo-cd. The
inevitable alternative will be half a dozen major different formats all
incompatible. We've spent twenty years getting in a total mess with the
computer industry making this mistake - do we have to do it again ?

On the flip side of the coin at least the prices kodak are charging
for their facilities are not unreasonable.

Alan