From owner-linux-activists@joker.cs.hut.fi Mon Nov  2 08:07:13 1992
Sender: owner-linux-activists@joker.cs.hut.fi
From: ccdps@lux.levels.unisa.edu.au (Dan Shearer)
To: linux-activists@joker.cs.hut.fi
Subject: LAN Manager over TCP/IP
Date: 02 Nov 1992 16:35:59 -0300 (BST)

G'day Linux TCP/IP'ers,

I'd like to try an idea out on you.

First of all, think of how many users out there want servers for a LAN
servers for their DOS LAN. Most of them just do file and printer sharing,
although Microsoft and others are trying to tell everyone that rpc technology
is the direction of the future.

Next, think of the state of play with DOS LANs that have multiple protocol
stacks. As far as I am aware, there is only one major contender, Microsoft.
Their LAN Manager product is not by any means a world leader in sales but it
can handle TCP/IP, Decnet, Appletalk, OSI protocols, XNS, NETbeui as well as
a number of other protocol stacks. This is what the new Novell product is
supposed to be able to do. Microsoft have stopped nearly all development work
on their current release on LAN Manager, since it comes built in to Windows NT.

So, if you want to have a LAN that can operate with TCP/IP that is by a large
company, you have one choice, Microsoft. You can choose to have a Unix box
running LAN Manager (mostly HP or AT&T I think) or an OS/2 box. Neither will
be particularly up-to-date technology, until whenever it is Windows NT comes
out. It will *certainly* cost a lot of money.

I can only speak for the OS/2 LAN Manager servers, but they are not very
stable under load. They run OS/2 1.3.1, which is old, and as I have explained,
things aren't likely to get better in the short-to medium term.

Therefore, I believe that if we could get a Linux to support DOS sessions for
file and printer sharing, it would be an extrememly attractive solution. Of
course, initially you would have to purchase the workstation licences until
free workstation software was written (if ever) but avoiding the purchase of
the OS/2 and LAN Manager package would be a great advance, and many would find
a Unix environment attractive for a server. I would, and I work where there
are hundreds of users using Lanman under OS/2, and quite a few more using the
very similar Pathworks product under VMS and Ultrix.

It is important to note that the specifications for LAN Manager are well
documented and understood, are not very complex. They have even published
their LanMan Programmers Toolkit on the Internet.

Basically, a LM server is:

  - A stable multitasking operating system
  - Multi-user extensions, with user permissions and other security features
  - Ethernet capability, with at least TCP/IP protocols
  - Capability to maintain virtual DOS file connections over TCP/IP, mapping
    them on to the server's file system

Linux only lacks (in principle :) the last item, which presumably would
be a daemon monitoring TCP/IP requests on a particular port.

What thinks the net?

--
 Dan Shearer                            email: Dan.Shearer@UniSA.edu.au
 Information Technology Branch          Phone: +61 8 302 3479

From owner-linux-activists@joker.cs.hut.fi Mon Nov  2 12:18:59 1992