Newsgroups: sci.crypt,alt.security.pgp
Subject: PGP IV: The Search for Sidelnikov
From: pg...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1993 01:27:16 GMT

I was reading through a weighty tome on error-correcting codes (BTW a related
volume, "A Commonsense Approach to the Theory of Error-Correcting Codes" is the
only place you'll ever see the terms "theory of error-correcting codes" and
"commonsense" used in the same sentence) when I noticed a reference to a proof
("too complicated to give here") related to BCH codes by Sidel'nikov.  Checking
the list of references gave:

  V.M.Sidelnikov "Some k-valued pseudo-random sequences and nearly equidistant
    codes", Problems of Info.Trans, 5[1] (1969), p.12-16.

  V.M.Sidelnikov "Weight spectrum of binary BCH codes", Problems of Info.Trans,
    7[1] (1971), p.11-17.

  V.M.Sidelnikov "On the densest packing of balls on the surface of an n-
    dimensional Euclidean sphere and the number of binary code vectors with a
    given code distance", Soviet Math Doklady, 14 (1973), p.1851-1855.

  V.M.Sidelnikov "Upper bounds for the number of points of a binary code with a
    specified code distance", Problems of Info.Trans, 10[2] (1974), p.124-131,
    and Info.Control 28 (1975), p.292-303.

Now given that anyone who can produce a proof of a theorm which is too complex
to be included in a volume on the theory of ECC's must be an absolute
genius :-), this lends somewhat more weight to his findings.  It also gives a
(rather remote) chance of finding him:  Chances are that "Problems of Info.
Trans" is published by the Institute for the Problems of Information
Transmission (can someone confirm this?) whose email address is ippi.msk.su.
Although he probably isn't there any more (it was 20 years ago), someone there
may know how to contact him.....

Peter.
--
 pg...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz||p_gu...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz||gutm...@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz