Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
From: bh...@plains.NoDak.edu (Amit Bhati)
Subject: How to start-up a shell in an emacs window. help.
Sender: use...@ns1.nodak.edu (Usenet login)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1993 19:46:50 GMT

I have been learning to use the Gnu emacs editor and have been using
the book "Learning Gnu Emacs" by Cameron & Rosenblatt (O'Riley & Assoc.)
for it.

In Chapter 5 : Emacs as a Work Environment, at page 122-123 the
method to start-up a shell in emacs is to use M-x shell.
After I do this the shell prompt comes on, but when I type a
command and hit return nothing happens. Obviously I am missing
something very basic, I guess.

How do you execute commands from a shell within emacs? (In fact the
discription following the command on pages 122-123 are kind of confusing)

amit