From: jer...@legion.Corp.Sun.COM (Jeremy Allison)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
Subject: Windows NT cmd.exe terminal codes
Date: 19 Jul 1993 18:58:45 GMT

Hi everyone,

	I am experimenting with writing a Windows NT remote
logon service (as everyone seems to be due to the lack of a
telnetd :-) and wonder if anyone could answer a few questions.

I have a basic program that sits on the incoming telnet port and
when contacted spawns a cmd.exe and forwards the raw characters
between the pipes I use to connect to the cmd.exe and the telnet
socket. I can attach to this using telnet from my home 386i
and type command which are executed on the NT box - so far so good.

However, looking at the telnet rfc - I *really* don't want to have
to implement all that (I'm only doing this in my spare time so that
I can continue to play at programming on my NT box whilst my wife uses
it for *real* work :-) - so I looked in the UNIX network bible (Stevens'
big white book) and discovered the rlogin protocol would be much simpler
to implement.

But - and here are the questions - I need to know what control
characters cmd.exe accepts for such things as backspace, edit
previous line etc. Are these documented anywhere ? I couldn't find
them (and I have printed out *all* the postscript docs from the
October CD - not much fun I can tell you !). What would be really
nice is some sort of pseudo tty interface - any hint of that anywhere
within NT that I can get at ? (I am assuming that there is one - I just
doubt that it is available to application programmers).

My impression of Windows NT so far is that it *could* be a really nice
system - but there are so many things hidden and only accessible underneath
the Win32 subsystem that it makes achieving some functionality very
difficult.

Jeremy Allison,

Disclaimer. Sun don't even know I work for them..... so ignore this post!