P)Path: gmd.de!xlink.net!howland.reston.ans.net!europa.eng.gtefsd.com!uunet!
olivea!koriel!male.EBay.Sun.COM!jethro.Corp.Sun.COM!legion!jeremy
From: jer...@legion.Corp.Sun.COM (Jeremy Allison)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc
Subject: Server message block (SMB) protocol description wanted
Date: 27 Aug 1993 22:13:30 GMT

Hi all,

	Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of a protocol
specification for the Server Message Block protocol. According to a
very helpful Microsoft employee at InterOp it is the protocol that
Microsoft uses to implement their file sharing on top of NetBIOS (which
in turn is layered on top of TCP/IP). He said it was published in an
X/Open standard document (vol 2 ?). If anyone could let me know if this
available for ftp or even the address / phone number of X/Open so I
could buy it I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

	Jeremy Allison.
	SunService CTE.

Std. Disclaimer........
Me speak for Sun ? They don't even know I work for them !

>       Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of a protocol
> specification for the Server Message Block protocol. According to a
> very helpful Microsoft employee at InterOp it is the protocol that
> Microsoft uses to implement their file sharing on top of NetBIOS (which
> in turn is layered on top of TCP/IP). He said it was published in an
> X/Open standard document (vol 2 ?). If anyone could let me know if this
> available for ftp or even the address / phone number of X/Open so I
> could buy it I'd be very grateful.

back in February I got the following message from 3Com:

--
 Dan Shearer                        email: Dan.Shea...@UniSA.edu.au
 Information Technology Unit        Phone: +61 8 302 3479