From: gill...@andrews.edu (Andrew Gillham)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.ibm,comp.unix.bsd,comp.os.386bsd.development,
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc
Subject: [NETBIOS] Anyone with NetBIOS Unix code? Or SMB?
Date: 17 Nov 1993 01:15:06 GMT

Ok, I *know* I'll get some replies to this... :-) :-)

I'm looking for a free/pd NetBIOS implementation for Unix. i.e.
user level calls, etc.. NOT the rfc's!!
Better yet, does anyone have any free/pd SMB (server message block)
code/servers available?  I have spec's on SMB, but nothing really
on NetBIOS.
Why you ask?  Because I have several PC's (windows for workgroups)
connected to an NT machine and would like access to my Unix filesystems
without buying NFS clients or having to load TCP/IP on the PC's.
A way to mount NFS exports on NT and then share then would work, but
I don't think it would be free.  What I would like to do is turn
my Unix machine (NetBSD) into a big WFW server.  The SMB specs don't
seem that complicated, so if Appleshare can be impletemented via CAP,
why not SMB?

Thanks for any help, pointers, etc..

-Andrew
--
#!/bin/sh - ==============================================
echo "Andrew Gillham                 gill...@andrews.edu"

[...]

Andrew,  my company has a similar problem to yours - we have some MSDOS
based SNA gateways which advertise there services over NetBIOS.  We are
looking to write a UNIX client but didn't want to reimplement the server.
So, NetBIOS on UNIX then.  Well we came across one commercial vendor called
MCS (I think) based on your side of the pond.  If you require further
details Email me.

BTW, from the people I've spoken to in the Unix community about this the
response has generally been of the form - "NetBIOS?  That's a dodgy IBM
protocol for DOS machines isn't it?  It's not coming anywhere near my
machine...  What's wrong with sockets anyway?" :-)

Hope this helps,

Paul.
--
Paul Rossington,                 | "Sometimes I think the surest sign that
Datastream International, London | intelligent life exists elsewhere in the