From: e...@namaste.cc.columbia.edu (Eben Moglen)
Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.desqview
Subject: Datebook & Sprint problems with DV/X
Date: 2 Jan 1994 20:39:33 GMT

I am converting a workstation presently running DV Classic to DV/X.
The owner's license was bought early, and the DV/X is 1.00, with no
patches applied.

I have two software compatibility problems.  The first is with the DV
Datebook, one of the fabled DV Companions, on which the workstation
owner is dependent.  The software is supposed to run under DV/X as far
as I can tell, but I have problems getting the application to
recognize the keyboard at all.  No matter what is typed into the
window, nothing happens.  QOS distributes a DVP for the Datebook,
and I am using it.  This does not help.

Second is Borland's word processor, Sprint.  Sprint is at 1.01A.  The
Advanced User Interface is installed, slightly modified.  The problem
is that Sprint's non-BIOS keyboard handler sees all the Alt-Keys as
Alt-Shift-Keys.  Changing the "X-keyboard-behavior" parameter in the
DVP does me no good.

If anyone has used either of these applications and solved similar
problems, I'd be very grateful for assistance.  If anyone is using
these programs successfully, please let me know how you did it.

 Eben Moglen                       voice: 212-854-8382
 Professor of Law & Legal History    fax: 212-854-7946            moglen@
 Columbia Law School, 435 West 116th Street, NYC 10027          columbia.edu
                     PGP key: finger e...@columbia.edu
 Eben Moglen                       voice: 212-854-8382
 Professor of Law & Legal History    fax: 212-854-7946            moglen@
 Columbia Law School, 435 West 116th Street, NYC 10027          columbia.edu

>I am converting a workstation presently running DV Classic to DV/X.
>The owner's license was bought early, and the DV/X is 1.00, with no
>patches applied.
>
>I have two software compatibility problems.  The first is with the DV
>Datebook, one of the fabled DV Companions, on which the workstation
>owner is dependent.  The software is supposed to run under DV/X as far
>as I can tell, but I have problems getting the application to
>recognize the keyboard at all.  No matter what is typed into the
>window, nothing happens.  QOS distributes a DVP for the Datebook,
>and I am using it.  This does not help.

   This problem doesn't exist under versions of DESQview/X later than about
1.1.  I seem to remember seeing this on the earlier versions of DVX - it seems
that the solution was keyboard conf of 1, 2 or 4....sorry I can't be more
specific (I believe it was 1).

>Second is Borland's word processor, Sprint.  Sprint is at 1.01A.  The
>Advanced User Interface is installed, slightly modified.  The problem
>is that Sprint's non-BIOS keyboard handler sees all the Alt-Keys as
>Alt-Shift-Keys.  Changing the "X-keyboard-behavior" parameter in the
>DVP does me no good.

Another *very* old bug.  Try changing the DESQ key to something other than
{ALT}, or try running Sprint in a full screen window.

>If anyone has used either of these applications and solved similar
>problems, I'd be very grateful for assistance.  If anyone is using
>these programs successfully, please let me know how you did it.

> Eben Moglen                       voice: 212-854-8382
> Professor of Law & Legal History    fax: 212-854-7946            moglen@
> Columbia Law School, 435 West 116th Street, NYC 10027          columbia.edu
>                     PGP key: finger e...@columbia.edu
> Columbia Law School, 435 West 116th Street, NYC 10027          columbia.edu

    Justin Wilmsmeyer

--
       Quarterdeck Office Systems - Internet Support - Justin Wilmsmeyer
 Pricing/Ordering : i...@qdeck.com  |  Tech Questions : supp...@qdeck.com