From: t...@cam-orl.co.uk (Tim Glauert)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Long file names
Date: 8 Sep 1994 11:40:09 GMT

Pardon my ignorance on this subject, but does the SMB protocol include
support for long file names or does Windows NT use a different
protocol for this? In other words, are we likely to see a long file
name version of SAMBA in the near future or would it be a major piece
of work?

Thanks,

	Tim.

Tim Glauert, Olivetti Research Limited,		| EMAIL	t...@cam-orl.co.uk
24a Trumpington Street, Cambridge, England.	| TEL	+44   223  343232
						| FAX	+44   223  313542

>In other words, are we likely to see a long file
>name version of SAMBA in the near future or would it be a major piece
>of work?

>Thanks,

>	Tim.

>Tim Glauert, Olivetti Research Limited,		| EMAIL	t...@cam-orl.co.u

Well,

	The answers are yes and yes :-)

I am 90% of the way to finishing the long filename support
in samba - this will work when viewing UNIX files from WindowsNT
(which I have tested) and OS/2 (which I have not). There are a few
grubby bits of the protocol to add but mostly it seems to work.

It should be available within a few weeks.

Regards.

	Jeremy Allison
	j...@vantive.com