From: tri...@cs.anu.edu.au (Andrew Tridgell)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Samba progress report
Date: 09 Oct 1994 08:18:23 GMT

I thought people might be interested to hear what we're up to in the
latest Samba development. You can always gets the latest alpha version
from nimbus.anu.edu.au:pub/tridge/samba/alpha.

The long filename support is looking good. Some people report
occasional glitches, but most seem to find it ok.

I've just finished the framework for named pipe support, and have
implemented the lanman1 print queue status command. This removes the
need to use coreplus to get printer status.

A group has started to work on browsing. As it's very similar to the
named pipe support above, I expect it won't be too long before it's
working.

There have also been numerous other bug fixes and features
added. The current change log for the next version is at the end of
this post.

I expect to release 1.8.0 in the next few weeks (hopefully with
browsing support).

Please only try an alpha version if you are willing to send me a short
report on whether it works for you. Also don't try it if you are not
willing to "take a chance". It has a lot of untested code in it.

Andrew

change log:

        - added international chars to valid_dos_char(). Thanks
	to Daniel.Grandj...@dgr.epfl.ch
	- volume label fix thanks to charl...@budge.apana.org.au
	- released alpha1
	- important off by 4 fix in the server
	- readbraw size adaption in the client
	- released alpha2
	- wait3 cast for NeXt fixed. Thanks to dbran...@politics.tamu.edu.
	- man page fix for max xmit. Thanks to mmoore@wexford (Mike Moore)
	- is_8_3() fixes from Jochen Roderburg <Roderb...@rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE>
	- list_match() fix from j...@soton.ac.uk
	- statfs3 fix for BSDI from d...@supra.com
	- changed file open/close/read in server in preparation for mmap()
	based IO.
	- added mmap() support for reading files in the server. Optional
	at compile time. Thanks to suggestion from Roger Binns <rog...@x.co.uk>
	- mmap bug fixes
	- added __SAMBA__ name in nmbd
	- major changes for support of lanman2 and long filenames from
	Jeremy Allison (jer...@netcom.com)
	- lseek optimisation. Thanks to Linus Torvalds.
	- released alpha4
	- date patches for lanman2 from Jeremy Allison
	- added protocol aliases to handle WfWg (untested)
	- allow for zero params or data in reply_trans2
	- small lanman2 patches from jeremy
	- more prototype additions for clean compilation
	- postscript patches from t...@fsg.com
	- more lanman2 patches from Jeremy
	- added null ioctl support
	- kanji patches from fuj...@ainix.isac.co.jp
	- released alpha6
	- disallowed null password access (thanks to Birger Kraegelin k...@iitb.fhg.de)
	- Makefile fix for ultrix from and...@d2bsys.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stirling)
	- added per-service mangled names
	- totally re-vamped loadparm.c
	- added "mangling char" parameter
	- released alpha7
	- added "default case = lower|upper" service option
	- change mangling char to a service parameter
	- ultrix enhanced security patch from ste...@gopher.dosli.govt.nz
	- more changes to loadparm.c
	- printer name always set in [printers]
	- string_free() fix thanks to jef_iwa...@pts.mot.com
	- changed group handling to be faster and work for large numbers
	  of groups
	- added dynamic gid_t type determination
	- released alpha8
	- fixed become_user() problem for services with invalid
	directories
	- added "invalid users" list on per service basis
	- fixed pointer problems in alpha8 (thanks to murnagh...@a1uproar.yuppy.rdgmts.MTS.dec.com)
	- fixed some date setting problems
	- trans2 fixes from jeremy to stop infinite directory listings of
	long filenames
	- "standard input" lpq patch from r...@tlspu.demon.co.uk (Adrian Hungate)
	- changed password checking to check session list and validated ids
	before user list
	- split off password functions into password.c
	- added hosts equiv and rhosts code (thanks to Tim Murnaghan <murnagh...@a1uproar.yuppy.hhl.MTS.dec.com>)
	- released alpha11
	- added "newer" command to the client
	- attempt at aix trapdoor uid workaround
	- released alpha12
	- minor trans2 bugfix
	- added ufc crypt (fast crypt) support. Thanks to suggestion from
	forrest d whitcher <f...@world.std.com>
	- socket() fix for getting bcast and netmask thanks to
	Brian....@Canada.Sun.COM
	- added beginnings of IPC and named pipe support in the server
	- changed file structure a bit, creating reply.c
	- finished print queue support for lanman1
	- changed default protocol to LANMAN2
	- released alpha13