Newsgroups: comp.protocols.smb
From: bigen...@sun-valley.prevmed.rochester.edu (Chris Bigenwald)
Subject: Why samba?
Sender: n...@galileo.cc.rochester.edu
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 95 21:49:23 GMT

What are the advantages/disadvantages of running samba on a
Unix box (Sun) vs. a dedicated WFW PC (Pentium)?

Clients are all WFW PC's.

- Chris

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.smb
From: iia...@iifeak.swan.ac.uk (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: Why samba?
Sender: n...@info.swan.ac.uk
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 12:30:11 GMT

In article <3fguik$...@nova.voicenet.com> mainl...@omni.voicenet.com
(William Smargiassi) writes:
>bigen...@sun-valley.prevmed.rochester.edu (Chris Bigenwald) wrote:
>>What are the advantages/disadvantages of running samba on a
>>Unix box (Sun) vs. a dedicated WFW PC (Pentium)?
>WfW isn't capable of any heavy-duty server duties. (I've heard...) You'd be much
>happier with NT's server version (I've heard...) or Samba because of speed.

WfW has to run under Windows/DOS so its fighting things like non-reentrant
BIOS and co-operative multitasking not designed for the job. Both Unix and
NT systems have efficient software disk caches, disk scheduling, the ability
to do a disk I/O and run things at the same time.. etc,etc

So yes it makes a big difference. But then nobody even presumes to sell W4WG
as a serious server. File sharing yes...

Alan
--
 // Alan Cox  //  iia...@www.linux.org.uk   //  GW4PTS@GB7SWN.#45.GBR.EU  //