From: Marc Palmer < M...@landscap.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Samba, Linux and Windows '95
Date: 1995/06/01
sender: n...@news.demon.co.uk
x-posting-host: landscap.demon.co.uk
organization: LANDSCAPE CHANNEL
reply-to: M...@landscap.demon.co.uk
newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking

We've got Samba running fine here in my office using Windows for
Workhroups 3.11. I've got 7 machines that share files stored on a Linux
box.

Enter the spanner:

I've installed Windows '95 beta on a machine for a
spate of masochism, and all is not well. I've successfully got
Windows'95 talking to the rest of the Workgroup PCs using Micro$oft's
TCP/IP stack shipped with Windows '95. All is well on that front. I can
also see the Samba/Linux box in the list of machines in the "Network
Neighborhood". When I click on it to see the shared resources, that
works too! I couldn't believe my luck! You can even see all of the
files/directories that are shared. Alas, woe ensues when you discover
that any attempt to read/write a file causes Win 95 to COMPLETELY COLLAPSE!!!!
Recursive blue screens with Kernel/GP Faults are not fun. Despite
behaving pretty well in all other respects, Win 95 MUST be rebooted
completely once this happens. NOT GOOD!

Is there something different about Win95's use of the LAN manager/MS
Net protocol? Why can this new machine access WfWg3.11 machines and not
Samba? The MS TCP/IP stack seems to work fine in all other respects, I
don't think that is at fault.

I'd be grateful for any help.

* Marc P.                               E-Mail me for PGP 2.6 key  *
* "Most of the ideas I have at the moment have to do with things   *
* that are completely impossible, so I am wary about sharing them. *
* They are, however, the only thoughts I have." - Dirk Gently      *

  [ successful samba, until installed Win 95 ]

: that any attempt to read/write a file causes Win 95 to COMPLETELY COLLAPSE!!!!
: Recursive blue screens with Kernel/GP Faults are not fun.

Hey, what did you expect from "beta test" software?
< snicker>
Maybe it will be Win 96, after all!

         - Larry Doolittle   ldool...@cebaf.gov

>   [ successful samba, until installed Win 95 ]
>
> : that any attempt to read/write a file causes Win 95 to COMPLETELY COLLAPSE!!!!
> : Recursive blue screens with Kernel/GP Faults are not fun.
>
> Hey, what did you expect from "beta test" software?
> < snicker>
> Maybe it will be Win 96, after all!

Ha ha. It's a BUG in SAMBA.