From: m...@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Michael I. Bushnell, p/BSG)
Subject: Hurd 0.0 release status
Date: 1996/07/13
organization: Touring Consulting Services
followup-to: gnu.misc.discuss
newsgroups: gnu.misc.discuss

People are eager to know how close we are to release, so here's an
update:

There is one rather annoying bug I'd like to find which is causing
random crashes.  I expect this will not be too hard to locate.  There
are some more trivial bugs, but the release will not be held up for
them.

Forty-three packages of GNU software have been built native.
Remaining to be built are three packages for which new releases are
expected soon.

Also remaining to be built native are bash, gdb, mach, the Hurd
itself, and the internet utilities and daemons.  We intend to sync our
separate copy of libc source with the libc maintainer, and then build
it native too.

Because of obnoxious export restrictions, we have still to make
separate shared libraries for the crypt functions.

Except for the actual final packaging, all the release engineering
tasks to be done have been completed.

To summarize, we still need to:

o Fix one obnoxious bug
o Compile three packages that are waiting for release;
o Compile gdb, bash, mach, and hurd native
o Sync libc source and compile native
o Deal with crypt shared libraries
o Final packaging

Michael