From: e...@emoglen.law.columbia.edu (Eben Moglen)
Subject: talk and ytalk broken
Date: 1997/06/15
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc

I am running Debian 1.2, kernel at 2.0.27, not that it matters.  Both
talk and ytalk are installed from Debian packages; ytalk in particular
3.0.2-4.  in.talkd is correctly started by attempts to make talk
connections from abroad, but both talk and ytalk fail on local
startup.  ytalk simply hangs, showing its startup message but not
accepting keystrokes.  talk says:

[Couldn't bind to control socket : Cannot assign requested address (99)]

This is obviously diagnostic, and whatever is causing talk to fail is
presumably also killing ytalk.  I know the problem should be obvious, but
I'm not getting it.  Condescending help greatly appreciated.

 Eben Moglen                       voice: 212-854-8382
 Professor of Law & Legal History    fax: 212-854-7946            moglen@
 Columbia Law School, 435 West 116th Street, NYC 10027          columbia.edu