Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
Subject: GNU Project seeks nominations for the Free Software Award
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 13:11:52 GMT

[Please redistribute widely where appropriate]

The GNU project is asking for nominations for the first Free Software
Award.  We want to give this award on Oct 9 to a person who has made a
great contribution to the progress and development of free software
(free as in freedom; see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
for the definition), through activities that accord with the spirit of
free software.

Any kind of activity could be eligible--writing software, writing
documentation, publishing CDs, even journalism--but whatever the
activity, we want to recognize long-term central contributions to the
development of the world of free software.  "Accord with the spirit"
means, for example, that software, manuals or collections of them (on
tape or CD) must be entirely free.  (Once again, that's free as in
freedom; see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html.)  Work done
commercially is eligible, but we want to give awards to individuals,
not companies.

People such as Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds, who have already
received other awards for their contributions, are not eligible for
the Free Software Award.

Please send your nominations to award-nominations@gnu.org, on or
before August 9.  In addition to the name of the person you want to
nominate, please include an explanation of the work the person has
done and why you think it is especially important.

The awards committee will consider nominations and decide who will
receive the award.  The committee's decision will be final.  The
committee's members are Peter Salus (Chairman), Scott Christley, Rich
Morin, Adam Richter, Richard Stallman, and Vernor Vinge.

- --
http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@news.ornl.gov
This group is archived at http://www.iki.fi/mjr/linux/cola.html