From: jer...@netcom.com (Jeremy Allison)
Subject: HP officially supporting Samba.
Date: 2000/01/14
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.smb

HP have announced a new product, CIFS/9000:

The official Web page is here :

http://www.unixsolutions.hp.com/products/cifs.html

Now click on the "Questions and Answers" link :

http://www.unixsolutions.hp.com/products/cifs_qa.html

You'll find the quote :

"Q: Is the server side of CIFS/9000 based on Open Source Samba?

A: Yes. HP is committed to submitting CIFS/9000 enhancements
back to the Open Source community."

It is intended to be shipped as part of every HPUX system
from March 2000 onwards.

This is *wonderful* news, in that Samba development will accelerate
again, with more engineering help (the limiting factor for some parts
of the project). We now have the HP engineering contacts we need to
work together.

We have added a link to the main Samba web pages also.

I'd like to congratulate HP for taking this bold step !

Regards,

Jeremy Allison,
Samba Team.