From: d...@lilac.kitenet.net (Dylan Paul Thurston)
Subject: Free software vs. open source?
Date: 2000/06/09
Newsgroups: gnu.misc.discuss

In Richard Stallman's latest piece (on the fake free release of
Motif), he says

> ... However, the new Motif license does not fit either the
> definition of free software, or the looser definition of open source
> software.

I was somewhat surprised by this; I wasn't aware of a practical
difference between free software and open source.  At
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html, there is a definition of
Free Software a la Stallman.  This seems very comparable to the Debian
Free Software Guidlines at http://www.debian.org/social_contract,
which are, as far as I know, the same as the definition of Open Source
at http://www.opensource.org.

(After reading them, I think Stallman's definition is better written
and addresses the fundamentals better; but it's also a little vaguer.)

Is there any specific instance of software that is "open source" but
not "free software"?

Thanks,
	Dylan Thurston