From: dunc...@umd5.umd.edu (James Duncan)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp
Subject: GURPS Supers Review
Date: 11 Jun 89 18:03:59 GMT

  Well GURPS Supers is out now.  Looks pretty good.  I believe you can
model just about any of the popular comic characters found in your
favorite comics.  You may have to argue over how many points to
build them on though.  There are more meta-rules in this book then
in the GURPS system in general.  There is a great deal of flexibility
and lots of good base rules for powers and super skills.

  GURPS Supers is 112 pages in length.  It is 'perfect bound' format.
The cover is really nice - a giant robot ram-headed minotaur is wielding
a lamp post as a club. Atop a building is a super firing some sort of
energy blast at the minotaur.  A scantily clad female avenger flashes
from the minotaurs rear and stops in mid flight poised in front of it,
leaving a firey trail in her wake.  There is a crunch car on the street
below and a couple of fleeing innocents. So much for the cover description.
The book is written by Lloyd Blankenship and is edited by Steve Jackson.
The approach taken is summed up by the sub-title: 'Super-Powered Roleplaying
Meets the Real World'.  The rules are geared more towards modern realistic
style comic genre like that found in New Universe, Batman, the Watchmen,
and the Wild Cards novels. There are numerous options and notes given to
permit the traditional four-color comic style genre though.

  The book is organized into seven chapters plus an index and a supers
campaign plan sample.  After the Introduction the following chapters
are presented: 1. Characters, 2. Super Abilities, 3. Heroes, 4. Villians,
5. Combat, 6. Super Campaigns, and 7. Campaign World.  The Characters chapter
indicates some of the types of characters one finds in the comics and which
can be designed using Supers. This chapter also details what character design
entails - basic personality choice, determining the origin of the characters
super powers, deciding on what goals and motivations the character possesses,
choosing the characters appearance, choosing Powers and other abilities,
determing level of wealth and social status, and a host of other things
which make your character a well rounded 3 dimensional being and not just a
bunch of stats.  Chapter two describes the game mechanics of Super powers and
gives a VERY extensive list of super abilities - Powers and Super skills. This
chapter also includes a section on Gadgets and devices.   Chapter three is a
list of sample characters from the U.N.'s metahuman ( GURPS' term for a SUPER )
police force.  Seven characters are listed. These characters are based on 500
points which is the recommended level for a four-color comic style campaign.
Each character is fully detailed on a single full page. The characters
presented are Black Pearl ( an aquatic Super ), Dwarfstar ( a dwarfish Brick ),
Flamin' Jane ( human torch type ), The Fox ( non-metahuman, highly skilled
fencer ), Nightflick ( a good guy vampire ), Rebel Yell ( a southerner with a
voice that creates sonic booms ), and Rockman ( a mild mannered, intellectual
Brick ). Villians, the fourth chapter in the book, details seven of IST's
chief villians.  These villians are: Blue Demon ( a metallic otherworldly
creature ), Chemico ( a chemical cretin ), Darkshell ( a powersuit encased
bad guy ), Icepick ( a real 'ice princess' ), Kodiak ( the bear-bodied boy
who shifts into this form when angry ), Mount Fuji ( Super sumo wrestler Brick
with a death wish ), and Necron ( Super powered wizard ).  Chapter five
details Super Combat and Feats. In this chapter we get modification of the
encumberance rules to deal with the reductions of speed of high spped supers.
Also covered are extended rules for slam damage, knockback, collisions, thrown
objects snd throwing damage, Contests of Power, and super attack/defense.
There is a nice section on Cinematic martial arts - movie and comic style
Hand-to-Hand combat. This includes new skills and optional rules on increased
numers of attacks and defenses. There are also optional rules for doing 'stun
 damage' rather than real damage and for reducing the amount of damage supers
deal - some real damage done and some stun damage done - for those who want
to decrease the amount of 'unreality'.  Chapter six contains notes on designing
a Supers campaign.  Chapter seven gives a background for setting up a supers
campaign.  This is an altered history which explains the existance of Super
powers in the 'real world'.  Some of the ramifications of Super powers are
also examined - high property insurance rates due to damage done by supers,
changes in laws and law enforcement, ect. Details on Super teams and Super
organizations are also given.  There is also a Timeline indicating the course
that history has taken.
  Overall, the book looks to be a nice piece of work.  It is a fine addition
to the GURPS line.  There are very few errors and typos - but there are a few.
The psionics system has been revised and it is recommended that the one
presented here be used throughout the GURPS system replacing the one in GURPS
BASIC III.  I'd recommend this to any GURPS fan who is into comics and Super
Heroes/Villians.
  As a final note, I don't expect this product to compete against Champions
except in the case of GURPS gamers who have been waiting for GURPS Supers who
may have been drawn to Champs if Supers didn't exist.  I expect that the number
of Champions adventure supplements sold to increase greatly since I'm sure
GURPS players will be looking for new source material until SJ Games fills the
void.  When I was at the game shop where I purchased Supers - Dream Wizard's
in Rockville, MD - I noticed that there is a ton of stuff for Champions.
BTW, which Champions book is the one to get to start a Champions campaign?
Champions I, II, or III?  Do you need them all to be up to date?  I ask this
more from the perspective of a GURPS GM who is searching for source material.
I have Star Hero but I doubt this is enough to understand all the notation
found in Champions supplements.

			Jim Duncan